Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CA schools  (Read 2618 times)

jameslin

• View Profile
Re: CA schools
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 05:50:34 PM »
USC doesn't require a first deposit until May 28th. 

tofccc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 06:00:40 PM »
I am the one who said June 1st and I am almost positive (98%) sure that is what it is. It could be May 28th, I am at work and the paperwork is at home. The admitted students day is April 16th but they have admitted student tours scheduled well into May.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 06:28:36 PM »
I just wanted to point out that I don't think Hastings is remotely unique in the no contact methodology.  I have yet to hear from Davis or Penn. I find it interesting that we are all experiencing the same frustrations, just w/ different schools.  Actually, Hastings was one of the quickest decisions for me.  I find the admissions process to be almost offensively random.  I guess we just all have to celebrate the few acceptances we get.  Sooooooooooooo random!
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 09:41:02 PM »
Well, I think all the complaining I did in this discussion board was worth somethign after all.I just got a call from a student at UC Hastings congratulating me on my acceptance to the school. I suppose I now should start criticizing Penn. ;D

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 09:54:21 PM »
Hmmmm... just two more points: tahoetahoe, you should definitively call the admissions office at Penn and check your status. I called them a few days ago, and even though my file is still in review, I certainly feel better just by speaking to someone in there and being informed that they are still considering me (contrary to Berkeley, which just flatly sent me a rejection letter) :-
   As for Davis, I was told that the admissions committee will finish reviewing all application files sent by the end of next week, so hang in there!!!!

Ohhhh.. there is also point three: why do I always type "somethign" instead of something?

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 12:18:24 AM »
Congratulations gohan00001 on getting accepted at Hastings!  What is your #1 choice?  I probably will end up going to Hastings.  I also am wait-listed at Boalt so I think that is hardly anything I can count on.  Good idea on calling Penn.  I will call them tomorrow.  The email probably got routed to my bulk mail and deleted.  Ooops!  Do you think you will end up at Hastings as well?  I just sent in my $100.  Go HASTINGS!
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

Doc Holliday

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 02:15:45 AM »
gohan--Did your status online change to Decision before they called? And what were your numbers if you don't mine my asking?

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 10:28:11 AM »
Dear tahoetahoe:

I am not entirely certain I will goto Hastings. The truth is thatI have also been accepted at UC Davis,and i really like what I saw in there during their open house. However, I wil visit Hastings and take a close look at both schools. I am leaning towards going to Hastings though, just because it seems that more big law firms in San Francisco do interview Hastings' students than Davis. Also, I do live close to San Francisco.

Dear Doc Holliday:
  I do not know if my status online has changed. The truth is that once I got the phone call, I did not really think about checking it. I will check it and let you know though. Still, my impression is that they are calling you the same day the decision is made.
   As for my numbers, my GPA is a 3.66 (3.7 according to LSDAS... hmmmm.. I don't think I got the right acronym, but you know who I am referring to). I took the LSAT twice, scoring 158 on my first attempt and 163 the second. I htink there are three reason for why I must have been accepted at UC Hastings and still am under consideration by Penn.

First: Both schools decided to consider me on basis of my highest LSAT score.

Second: My overal GPA is a 3.66, but that is due to the fact that I took five science courses during the first three semesters in college (organic chemistry included). Without my science grades, my GPA goes up to a 3.8 or a 3.9.

Third (and perhaps the most important): I got an award by the San Francisco Bar Association, which makes me what admission officials like to call a "special" person. In other words, my resume shows them I do have experience and commitment to the law.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 12:59:17 PM »
gohan00001

I feel like Davis and Hastings must be hard to choose between.  Their rankings are very close, but Hastings from what I hear does have greater career advantages.  I feel like Hastings big sell is just its sheer size.  Having 420 people or so graduate the same year is a great network base.  I also feel like it will be a great advantage to be right next to the courts.  What kind of law are you looking into if you don't mind my asking?

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 01:23:43 PM »
Yes, you have read my mind. I consider Hastings and Davis to be equal in most aspects. Both schools are great, and i am certain I would get a job anywhere in California by attending either one. However there certainly are certain aspects I need to consider. For instance, the law school at Davis actually gives library keys to each one of its students, so I would have 24 hours access to it. In addition, the average size for a first year lecture class (torts and contracts) is of 60 students. Lastly, the sense I have from Davis is that its students are quite nice and cooperative amomg themselves.
   As for Hastings, I definitively need to visit the school to learn more about it. Still ,I do know that big firms in San Francisco tend to interview more students from Hastings than from Davis for their summer positions (you know, the ones that pay $2000 a week). Living so close to San Francisco will certainly allow me to save money in rent, food and utilities (I would be able to live with my parents). Well, I simply just do not know which one to choose yet. Besides, I do know many attorneys working in or near San Francisco, which means I already have a network based in the area.
   The biggest advantage Davis has over Hastings is that I would be able to pursue a Masters degree in its campus. I recently learned that Hastings also offer the opportunity to pursue a dual degree, but I need more information about that.
   As for my interest in law, I am considering international  and immigration (UC Davis has avery good immigration law clinic), but as you probably knows, no one really knows with exactitude what he/she wants to do before being exposed to the classes. I did work at an immigration law firm, so I may be only leaning toward that field because I am already familiar with it.
   Still, if Penn accepts me, there is no question where I will be going. I think the best thing I could do would be to also speak to an attorney from a school that is ranked higher than both Hastings and Davis and ask him which school he regards as the best. In that way I would have an impartial opinion about this matter.