Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CA schools  (Read 2631 times)

JD07

• View Profile
CA schools
« on: April 06, 2004, 03:18:37 AM »
It seems as if CA schools,namely USD, Santa Clara, UCLA, are not in a rush to send out rejections. I spoke with an admissions counselor at Santa Clara and he told me that it would be late may before I heard back. Late may? From what I can gather, it appears that these schools are offering admission to the top candidates. Instead of sending out deferment, waitlist, and rejections letters they are just just holding the rest of the applications. Once they hear back from these students, they accordingly fill the remaining seats and continue reviewing the files. This is my synopsis of the situation (purely speculative). Let me know what you think.

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: CA schools
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:07:32 AM »
Seriously, I think this situation is shameful. We pretty much have a group of schools that are acting as if they were ivy-league caliber. For instance, take UC Hastings. I sent them an application in early November, and I am still waiting to hear from them. Schools such as Michigan, UC Davis and UC Berkeley already sent me a response (rejected, accepted and waitlisted), all higher ranked than Hastings. Even UPenn sent me a response back in February (on hold). But Hastings? Nooooo, that schoos has to act as if it was a Stanford. I think this treatment will only result in alienated students such as I, who was considering going to Hastings, but now have serious doubts as if I really want to go there. After all, if they are already acting with this indifference toward me, how will they treat me once I am a student?
   There is something called consumer satisfaction, and seriously, this comsumer is very disappointed at that school.
    Of course, if I am accepted in there, I will still take them in consideration, but I am already biased against going there.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:13:58 PM »
Actually, as I have addressed in other posts, I dont think this is a 'snobbish' delay tactic.  Each of these schools is interested in raising the bar at their schools.  So they have 'automatic' admit numbers, which usually is anyone who falls over 50-75%ile from the previous years class.  They admit these students without going to committee.  Once the first deposits are in, and they determine how many seats there are left, they then go after the 'maybes', and determine how they are going to proceed. 

Usually 1st seat deposits are due sometime in April.  Once they have determined how many automatic admits are coming, and after they allow adequate time for people who were rejected from applying to the top 20 schools are now interested in attending, they feel they can now build a class with their stack of maybes.

Yeah, it sucks if these schools are your first choice and you are not an automatic draw, but as for me personally, I am glad to see that the schools I consider to be my first choices are taking measures to ensure their continual improvement.  It will help me later as well as them.

siyang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 12:35:03 PM »
usc does not have seat deposits until june.

confirm or deny the veracity of that statement, please.

i feel like i shouldn't hear back til july at the earliest in that case.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 01:36:44 PM »
siyang, I don't know when USC's 1st seat deposit date is and my hunch is that there's more than one. Also, I would guess that it's April 16, which happens to be their Admitted Students Preview Day. Many schools do this.

Also, I know that USC should be done by the end of April. If you're like me, then you're very anxious. The good news is that from reading these boards I've noticed several ppl say that someone they knew didn't hear back until April and got in. The bad news is that it may be a poor sample size, since looking at lawschoolnumbers, it seems that they still have many ppl to reject. If you're like me, this makes me not know what to think and my patience is very thin. I just hope that it all works and and everyone gets into a school they'd like to attend.

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »
    I still consider UC Hasting's lack of action quite "snobbish." My main complaint consists in the fact that I have not received one notification from that school, not that they have not yet made a decision about my file. As I stated, I am still waiting to hear from UPenn, however, its admissions department was polite enough as to send me an e-mail in February informing me of my status and the time I would probably have to wait before a decision is made in my case.
    However, you are right,I should be quite satisfied that a school I may be attending is carefully working towards improving its ranking (although they did lose a few spots in this year's ranking by US News and World Report). I will just stop thinking about this and worry about more important matters.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 03:23:17 PM »
From what I've experienced, Hastings seems to be known for their snobbish behavior.  Maybe it's an inferiority complex because it's so close to both Boalt and Stanford.  Who knows?  If Hastings treat their applicants this way, I sure hope that they don't treat their admitted students and current students in the same manner!  Hastings is a good school, don't get me wrong.  I just don't like how they treat their applicants. 

Same goes for UCLA. 

I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

thechoson

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 04:07:07 PM »
Hmm.. I don't know about snobbish, I've definitely had some curt behavior from some of those Cali schools you mentioned.  However, I love giving credit to where credit is due, and I got to say McGeorge (though I don't think I'll be going there) has been amazing in their "niceness".
I think i've been spoiled by Arizona State.  They've made me feel like a freaking athlete they're trying to recruit, instead of some dude that got lucky within their 16 percent acceptance rate.  I've had Admissions people email me back AT NIGHT from their homes.  I've had phone calls returned to me promptly, offers to mail me info on housing, references to resources to quell any doubts I may have about various issues, alumni emailing me when I have questions, I mean damn.  After this, yes, I am a bit spoiled and dissapointed when I call up some law school and they say, "Please call back later" and if I email they take 4 days to reply.

thechoson

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 04:09:42 PM »
Also, my feeling is some of these Cali schools get a large amount of applications JUST BECAUSE they are in California.  For example (this is my opinion) some schools have to sell the school ITSELF, because the area it's in may suck.  Schools like USD or Santa Clara (damn have you been in the Bay ARea, it's freaking Beautiful!) kinda rely on the city to sell it.

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 05:18:49 PM »
usc does not have seat deposits until june.

confirm or deny the veracity of that statement, please.

i feel like i shouldn't hear back til july at the earliest in that case.

Someone on another thread said that USC deposits are due June 1st but they have to send in a letter of intent monthly.

The woman who answers the phone at USC said that they will continue admitting people THROUGH May.  Company line...I don't know.