Law School Discussion

((((( Average Applicant ))))))

Re: ((((( Average Applicant ))))))
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2004, 06:44:48 AM »
Maybe you want to or feel that you belong to 4th Tier.  I don't.  It could be that admission to law schools these days is mainly a number game, but it's not just a number game.

If GOING to law school is your main goal, I think you'll need to apply to some tier 4s. If not then you may not be going. Is it worth it not to go? BTW most schools that accept scores like yours are 4th tier.

mfitz

• 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2004, 11:02:10 AM »
FloridaLaw, I'm sure we're all wondering, but what's your "something special?"  It mite help us guage your chances a little better if we knew.

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2004, 11:11:47 AM »
FloridaLaw, I'm sure we're all wondering, but what's your "something special?"  It mite help us guage your chances a little better if we knew.

Ok.. Just to name a few...

I have lived (not traveled) in several countries and speak several languages, I have few years of professional work experience, despite hardship (language/cultural barriers, economic struggle, etc.) I have manage to be on several honors lists and graduated from the honors program (my GPA is not so impressive due to double major and one of them is hard) got awards for volunteering, great LORs, unique PS, etc...

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2004, 12:21:16 PM »
I do not want to burst your bubble, but I agree with the previous poster who said if you want to practice law bad enough you will add in some lower tiered schools because you might not get into those 2nd tiers that you are applying to.

I do not know much about the schools you are looking into, so I can not really say but I think that the only special things out of your list is the fact that you traveled and speak a few different languages. I struggled with the LSAT, 149 oct 2002 144 dec 2002, 150 june 2004. I have a 3.39 GPA. I have a year and a half work experience, I am almost done with my masters degree (will finish in MAy 4.0 GPA), I was also a double major, I also graduated with honors and made deans list, I also suffered hardship growing up. I also volunteer places. Everyone thinks their letters of reccomendation are great and their personal statement is unique. I do not mean to seem harsh, but the other poster is right, this is a number game as much as I would prefer it was not. You might have to reevalute to make sure you get in somewhere. I am not saying do not apply to the schools you really want to get into, I think you need to apply to some realistic schools also, just incase the other schools do not pan out. I wish you the best and I hope you do get into the schools you want to go to, but you should have a back up plan, just incase.

~K

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2004, 12:41:12 PM »
No, I did not traveled, I LIVED in sevral countries.  Those are only few of the "something special" that I have to offer... I didn't get into details about them on this board.  When I said struggle/hardship, I didn't just mean the typical struggle...let's just say that many people in my situation would have not made it thru high school. 

Obviously, I have cons, which include my age (average law school age, between 23-26), average numbers, and my non-URM status. 

If your scores are in the 140s and you have a lower 3 point something GPA, and have nothing "special" to show, I would definately suggest Tier 3 and possibly Tier 4.

I do not know much about the schools you are looking into, so I can not really say but I think that the only special things out of your list is the fact that you traveled and speak a few different languages. I struggled with the LSAT, 149 oct 2002 144 dec 2002, 150 june 2004. I have a 3.39 GPA. ~K

Lulu

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2004, 01:11:54 PM »
FloridaLaw,
I think what everyone is trying to tell you that while you should definitely aim as high as you want, to Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools, you should also consider adding some Tier 3s and 4s to be safe. Hopefully, your special life experiences will help you out where your numbers are lacking, but in case it doesn't come through for you, then you need a backup. That's what safety schools are- back up plans.

IF you don't want to go to law school unless it's a tier 1 or 2, that's one thing. But if your goal is to go to law school...then you need to extend your options.

Someone also mentioned that many people have compelling stories. This is very true. I too have lived in several countries and speak different languages...I too overcame plenty of hardships that would cause other people to drop out of school...but my numbers are higher than yours. That's just an example- I'm not meaning to be obnoxious in any way- that goes to show that compelling stories don't necessarily make up for where the numbers lack. Schools worry about their rankings, for instance, and accepting applicants with low numbers drives down their acceptance rate.

I wish you the best of luck in applying, and like everyone else, urge you to consider other options.

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2004, 01:20:09 PM »
"Ok, I have a low LSAT 151 and I have a 3.37 GPA from a state school in FL that probably none of you have heard of if you are not living in FL.  I am applying to:"

First of all, my GPA is actually higher than yours and I have a 4.0 in my masters program. My LSAT score is only slightly lower than yours, so you have nothing to write home about either. You asked a question, I answered it. Frankly, I could care less if you only apply to the T2 schools and get rejected from each and every one of them. I tried to give you a little bit of advice so you would have a back up plan. Take it as you will.

I apologize that I misread your post, you lived in several countries and speak several languages, that is something special. The other stuff is not so special, I posted to show you the similarities between our "special stuff" and I am sure there are even moer people on this board who have many of the same things. It is great that you overcame your hardship, but you should really not knock the things that other people go through without knowing what they are.  Does your hardship set you apart, it depends on how the admissions person sees it.

You told me to apply to T3 and T4, I am doing that because I am living in reality. Sure I applied to some T2's that I would love to get in to, but I know they are stretches. If you do not try you never know. But, you should really take your own advice. It would suck to get rejected from everywhere because you refuse to apply to a few more safeties. No one said you will get rejected from your T2 schools, but since it is a number game, it is possible...and it is a possibility you should think about.

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2004, 01:23:19 PM »
IF you don't want to go to law school unless it's a tier 1 or 2, that's one thing.

That's the thing, I want only to go to the ones I am applying to and nowhere else.

I don't only have reaches, I do have a target and it's a Tier 3 Stetson.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let the competition begin.   ;D

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2004, 01:30:13 PM »
Shadow, calm down.   ;D

From what I know, Grad GPA doens't count, or at least not much.

Actually, both my GPA and LSAT are slightly higher than yours.  (I changed my GPA a little for this post...I am just a little paranoid about posting my exact stats.)  ;)

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2004, 01:34:26 PM »
If you change your GPA because you are paranoid about posting your stats on an anon board you have more things to worry about than getting into a T2 school. :p

Grad GPA does not count as much, but it is one of those "special things" that set you apart from the person that has the same stats as you.