Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Law school v. DePaul  (Read 1006 times)

JD07

• View Profile
NY Law school v. DePaul
« on: April 06, 2004, 01:34:46 AM »
As of right now, NyLS and Depaul are my two options. These are both tier 3 schools and have similar statistics. Besides locale, are there reasons to favor one over the other. I have to send in my deposit soon and am pretty torn. If anybody has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

scolomon

Re: NY Law school v. DePaul
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 10:57:42 AM »
i get the impression depaul is a little better, I think more of their programs are ranked

Prince Rondavel

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:01:33 PM »
I don't know anything about Depaul, but I really like NYLS.  I was ready to send my deposit to them last night, but I had a change of heart today and I think I'm going to go with Brooklyn.

NYLS seems to have some really good institutes.  Media Law is my thing, and they have the insititute for information law and policy and something they call the media center.  Together they have a very impressive array of courses.  There's also other institutes, check their website.  It's my understanding that any student can participate in them.

I would really like to go there, but there are too many things weighing in against it for me to do it.  The downsides  of NYLS are first of all, it's a 3 tier school.  How come it's been around for so long and yet hasn't broken in to the 2nd tier?  Next is their extremely high tuition.  Its going for $36480 next year.  Although this price will be frozen for the class throughout their 3 years, it's can't figure out why I would pay that much when Brooklyn is $4000 less.  Even though NYLS offered me $5000 more in scholorship money, it would still cost me about $2000 more in loans to go there.
The last factor came when I call the financial aid office this morning.  They were not very helpful in answering my questions.  I know they have a lot to do, but come on, don't try to get into an argument with me.  BLS has been very prompt in sending me tons of information, and NYLS has been the opposite.  It took three weeks after I was accepted for the financial aid app to arrive, I mailed it in immediately, and of course they could not give me any information today when I asked about the status of it.  I have to send my check this week, and I wanted to know exactly what kind of aid I would be receiving before committing.  BLS had all this done over a week ago.

I know I'm getting a little of topic here, so I'll stop.  Sorry I don't know anything about Depaul, but you should probably do the same thing and compare the two school's total tuition costs before committing to either.

Oh, and there's a great burrito place near NYLS that has a sunday brunch where you get tons of food + 4 drinks of the mimosa/blood mary/screwdriver type for about $11 bucks.  What a bargain. 

P.R.

scolomon

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 02:28:09 PM »
you'd be a sucka not to go to brooklyn
I agree with you on NYLS...it has been around since the late 1800s if not earlier...one of the oldest law schools in america. They are content to wallow in mediocrity

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 03:33:54 PM »
I'd choose DePaul.  I think the Chicago legal market is less competitive than NYC and NYC has been so effected by 9/11.  Plus NYLS is at the bottom of the food chain in NYC (excluding CUNY and Touro which don't count) whereas JMLS is at the bottom in Chicago. 

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »
are you talking about calientes?  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i loveeeee unlimited mimosas...i go there after i bomb exams hahahaha...happy hour half off frozen margaritas :)

JD07

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 06:15:45 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to send in the deposit at both schools. As my preferred choices start replying back, I will then reasses the situation. But from what I read, Depaul has a very reputable IP program. I guess it's something to consider.
Prince, if it were me I would definitely go to Brooklyn over NYLS. They have a much better reputation in NY. With such a competitive legal market in NY, you should take all the advantages you can get. Good luck to you.

Prince Rondavel

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 02:01:06 PM »
No, I don't think it was called calientes.  I think it was actually called Burrito Bar or something like that.  I think it might be on Lafeyette, or perhaps W Broadway (or is it E Broadway, whatever), a few blocks down from Canal.  I'm from Atlanta so I'm not at all much familiar with the area.

P.R.