Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: in regards to rankings/jobs...  (Read 1070 times)

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
in regards to rankings/jobs...
« on: April 06, 2004, 12:12:30 AM »
I know there is an east coast bias in the usnews rankings but tell me if you think this makes sense:

I am not including H/Y because they tend to place all over the nation

If you look at California and list the top schools based on usnews rankings:
1. Stanford (3)
2. Cal (13)
3. UCLA (16)
4. USC (18)
5. Davis (33)
6. Hastings (38)
7. Loyola (59)
8. USD (67)

now if you look at top east coast schools
1. Columbia (4)
2. NYU (5)
3. Penn (7)
4. UVA (9)
5. Duke (10)
6. Cornell (12)
7. Georgetown (14)
8. GW (20)

the california schools mainly place in SD, SF, and LA
while these east coast schools mainly place in NYC, DC, BOS

Would it be correct to say that a degree from say Davis in California carries the same prestige as a degree from Virginia would on the east coast, or is there that much larger of a legal market in NUC, DC, BOS than there is in LA, SD and SF

thechoson

Re: in regards to rankings/jobs...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:35:22 AM »
East Coast schools have been around longer, have more prestige associated with their NAME.  NYC, DC, BOS are all large legal markets, while San Diego falls well behind the other two on the west coast.  Also, on the east of the schools you mentioned, only UVA is public.  On the West, all the UCs are public.  Publics kind of suffer in the rankings a bit.
You kind of see it in undergrads too, the more prestigious schools (heck all the IVYs) are in the east, and that goes with the law school.  Just the way this country developed historically, I guess

siyang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:45:57 PM »
2001: States in which the largest number of jobs were taken
  1. NY
  2. Cali
  3. Texas
  4. Washington D.C.
  5. Illinois
  6. Florida
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Ohio
  9. Massachussetts   (NOTE: Boston is a lot further down the list than you would think.)
 10. New Jersey

Most of that list points Eastwards.

Pacific Region also has the highest number of Graduates Staying in Region at 87.0% compared to a national average of 76.3%.

However, the Ratio of Graduates to Jobs for the Region is still below the national average, 1.09 in comparison to 1.17.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 01:29:25 PM »
The reason all the Ivies are in the east is because the term "Ivy League" is not an academic term but rather an athletic one.  The term was first used to describe the sports conference (much like Big Ten, etc.) and it just so happens that those schools are among the best (probably because they're some of the oldest?).

East Coast schools have been around longer, have more prestige associated with their NAME.  NYC, DC, BOS are all large legal markets, while San Diego falls well behind the other two on the west coast.  Also, on the east of the schools you mentioned, only UVA is public.  On the West, all the UCs are public.  Publics kind of suffer in the rankings a bit.
You kind of see it in undergrads too, the more prestigious schools (heck all the IVYs) are in the east, and that goes with the law school.  Just the way this country developed historically, I guess

siyang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 01:44:17 PM »
can we say endowment?