Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The all new "I HATE LSAC" club. Fee waived if applying electronically  (Read 940 times)

kernelgt

On NeverForever's suggestion (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,13117.0.html), I've decided to start the all new "I hate LSAC" club. 

Here's how it works.  You post your personally experienced reasons of frustration, anger, madness, hatred, and otherwise just generally pissed-off feelings toward LSAC.

Ok, so I'll start:

I hate how they can't pay attention to detail, mistranslate data on forms, take almost 10 days simply to respond to email, delay in sending out LSDAS reports, ooooh, take FOREVER to process letters of recommendation, and, in general, continuously rake us over the coals.  For what we're paying, we should get much better responsiveness.

Wow, that felt Soooooo great.  Anyone else?

BGOM

• View Profile
Re: The all new "I HATE LSAC" club. Fee waived if applying electronically
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 04:03:06 PM »
Here is my rant from a couple days ago. Just tell me where to sign up.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,13274.0.html

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 04:42:12 PM »
i like to apply on paper. shall i send you a $70 check?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 05:24:40 PM »
i hate LSAC for the rest of you.  personally, i sent my transcripts in by july, and all were processed quickly.  my letters were sent in mid-october, and all were processed within two weeks.  (i got very lucky in this regard.  i still stick with my theory of the recent letters going to the top of the pile, and then they grab from the top to process.)  once there was a request for my letter, it was processed the same day or the next day.  i've only called once, when they wouldn't confirm that we'd get LSAT scores early, so that was understandable.  i've e-mailed several times.  got super fast responses until about august, then still pretty quick responses now (two days max, i think).

for the negative: sucks to pay $100 just for the privilege, and still have to pay $10-12 per report.  there's gotta be a way to make it cheaper when so much stuff is electronic (and bar coded now).
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Tea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 07:52:33 PM »
Hey, don't waive the fee. I'd rather send *you* the money for all the good the money I sent to LSAC has done me.

I am applying to one school. ONE SCHOOL! Surely (when it works that is) this is a wonderful service for those of you applying to lots. But I get to deal with all of this for one school. Sure, the school knows LSAC is the problem and sure, I don't *have* to do Early Decision, but it's still a buncha crap.

All but one of my transcripts was sent by October 1, one was the first week of October, and NONE of them are even received. One rep griped to me about volume and backlog, but hung up on me when I asked (politely but firmly) when I might see some evidence of the service that I paid for. Another rep said I should send them again, and have them addressed directly to her. That might get them there, but probably not before the genorously-extended deadline.

Thank maud, I didn't even bother with the LORs.

HTTP 403.9 - Access Forbidden: Too many users are connected
Internet Information Services

Repeating myself here -- do I sound bitter?

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 03:04:12 PM »
I actually like LSAC. Everything I've sent has been processed in a very timely manner, and it's actually saved me grief. I can only imagine the look on my letter of rec writers' eyes if I tried to have them send to 15 different schools.

Those who only apply to one or two schools, though, get hosed.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

IhateLsac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 01:03:53 PM »
I hate LSAC so much!! I am so frustrated right now; I want to go down to lsac's headquarters and slash all of their tires!  Ahhhhgggg!!! HEre is my story:

I took the lsat in June with the intention of submitting the scores to a graduate school of international studies. ONLY to this school. I knew that they accepted lsat scores, and I was aware that I would not be able to sent my lsat scores directly to them, since you can only release scores to aba acredited law schools.  So, I figured I would just have the scores sent to the univ.'s law school, and then the law school would relesase the score to the graduate school.  I did not think of this method, IT IS WRITTEN IN LSAT MATERIAL.  SO, I figured (naively) that there would be no problem.  I went over to the law school a couple of weeks ago to ask them to send my score to the grad school. However, the law school had never received the scores because I never registered with LSDAS.  In order for LSDAS to release the scores to the law school, I have to pay $103 bucks, and have my recommendations and transcrips sent to them.  This is a WASTE of time and money because I am not even applying to law school.  I emailed LSAC to ask about alternatives.  On the lsac website, there is a warning that any emails sent to them take 6-8 days to reply. That is such bs, considering how much $$ people pay to that organization, cant they hire a few ppl to reply to email.  And calling them is even worse.  All three times I've called them (in different weeks) I get put on hold until I am disconnected. ONe time I was so frustrated, I called website management, and they connected me to a live person, who then told me I need to send an email!!! Anyway, I did email and they replied saying that (of course) the only way to release the scores is to join LSDAS, or I could call LSAC and have my scores sent to me.  I would like to try that, but guess what, I just tried calling lsac and no one picked up the f-ing phone!!

So now I am thinking about applying to law school after all, with the sole intention of becoming a lawyer just so I can sue the sh** out of LSAC and LSDAS.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 04:28:08 PM »
eek, sorry to hear about that, ihatelsac :(
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 12:30:17 AM »
Ihatelsac:

http://lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/faqs-and-support-lsat.asp#12

Can I receive or have a law school receive a copy of my old score?

You can, by sending a signed, dated, written request to LSAC, 661 Penn Street, Box 2600, Newtown, PA 18940-0979 with a $35 check or money order ($49 CDN plus 7% Goods and Service Tax.) Please include the following information:

* Your name as it appeared when you took the test
    * Your Social Security number or Canadian Social Insurance number
    * Your date of birth
    * Your current address or the name and address of all schools to which you want the report sent
    * Your most recent test date

Be sure that you check with the school(s) to determine that an LSDAS report is not needed. Scores earned prior to June 1995 will not be reported to law schools.

NOTE: Reports may only be sent to you or to law schools (not to graduate schools, employers, scholarship programs, etc.).

HTH
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine