Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does reading novels help?  (Read 1285 times)

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Does reading novels help?
« on: November 02, 2004, 08:53:26 PM »
....my sex drive?

just kidding lol

I've hated reading for most of my life but I've recently been drawn to books by John Grisham...The Street Lawyer was the best booke EVAR and I'm reading The Partner right now.

ANYWHOO, my question is will all this reading help me on the LSAT. I mean, it sounds obvious...but I feel like I SHOULD be spending my time reading other stuff....like....I don't know...more "intellectually challenging" things or something???  ???

Am I making any sense at all?? ha!

BTW what are some other good authors like John grisham? I don't know whether its his writing that's making me like readign so much or its because he's writing about the law profession which I'm interested in....

lexylit

Re: Does reading novels help?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »
if you think novels aren't intellectually stimulating, you're reading the wrong novels. and yes, readin will you help you in law school and on the lsat, though if you have limited time you're better off practicing lsats themselves than reading novels in preparation.

you might try dickens' bleak house-- that's definitely about law  ;) and it will help with the attention-span and reading-comp skills.

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 09:20:08 PM »
werd homie

appreciate it!

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 09:23:22 PM »
Joyce and Burroughs will help you with Reading Comp skills.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 10:01:12 PM »
you might try dickens' bleak house-- that's definitely about law  ;) and it will help with the attention-span and reading-comp skills.

What is it with girls and that book!?  My first girlfriend made me read that before she'd sleep with me.  It was 800 pages of torture!  I mean, the sex was worth it, but seriously. 

And she didn't like it when I told her that she had to read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" if she wanted me to keep going down on her.

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 03:43:38 AM »
Reading helps but not novels..

My reading comp teacher has us read things like articles in scientific american ..

you want to read things that will be at least somewhat similar to what you'll be reading on the lsat

lexylit

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 10:13:07 AM »
What is it with girls and that book!?  My first girlfriend made me read that before she'd sleep with me.  It was 800 pages of torture!  I mean, the sex was worth it, but seriously. 

weird, i didnt know any girls liked that book! i'm not even so big on it, it just popped into my head because the question was books about lawyers, and most of my usual fare is not.

fwiw i read it in a crazy grad school class on narrative secrets and spaces and silences, so i'm sure we could come up with some elaborate thesis linking blank spaces and secrecy to gender/ing ;) we also read borges and perec and one of the stranger austens, and wilkie collins...

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 10:31:57 AM »

weird, i didnt know any girls liked that book! i'm not even so big on it, it just popped into my head because the question was books about lawyers, and most of my usual fare is not.

fwiw i read it in a crazy grad school class on narrative secrets and spaces and silences, so i'm sure we could come up with some elaborate thesis linking blank spaces and secrecy to gender/ing ;) we also read borges and perec and one of the stranger austens, and wilkie collins...

Hmmm, maybe it was just her.  She was a bit victorian literature fan (which I'm decisively not), and tried to push the Bronte sisters on me, which I was having absolutely none of.

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 12:00:52 PM »
i'm with you-- not much of a victorianist either. i can't resist austen though.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 12:02:43 PM »
i'm with you-- not much of a victorianist either. i can't resist austen though.

I don't think there's a woman of letter who can ;)