Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Catholic v. Northeastern  (Read 1457 times)

november

• View Profile
Catholic v. Northeastern
« on: April 05, 2004, 04:52:03 PM »
Went to undergrad in Boston, and have been accepted to both Catholic and Northeastern. Opinions? (money from both schools, although CUA's offer is considerably higher)

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic v. Northeastern
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 05:22:27 PM »
Back when I was considering law schools there was website of a former CUA 1L who had a terrible time there.  It was interesting although I'd take what she said with a grain of salt.  I cannot for the life of me remember her name although her story was well known amongst all of the applicants at that time.  You might want to do a google search.  I think her name ws Ann something or the other. 

Of course the important question is where do you want to work?  I'd also want to know what legal market is better and what the local competition is like.  DC has a lot of law schools plus people from the top 14 applying so competition could be tough. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 05:29:56 PM »
When you say she had a terrible time, could you be more specific?  Was she struggling academically, or was there a problem with the overall culture of the school or something like that?

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 06:02:16 PM »
If I remember correctly she was a non-traditional student who had a hard time academically.  She had some pretty harsh things to say about the administration as well.  I think she felt the school and the professors were very uncaring and didn't pay much attention to the students not at the very top of the class.  But all law students say the same thing. 

I came very close to going to Catholic because they offered $$$ and her webpage influenced me even though by itself it wouldn't have been enough to encourage me to go somewhere else.  When I visited I talked to some students who didn't seem overly thrilled to be there.  I also had some 'weird' interactions with their staff.  I tried to talk to people in the career services office and they acted like I was out of line or something.  Plus (this sticks in my mind) I set up an appointment and my home address clearly indicated I lived nowhere near DC but they call me (at home) the morning of my scheduled appointment to tell me it's cancelled.  That struck me as being kind of weird.  I also felt that the student body wasn't as 'impressive' as it was at the other 2nd schools I was considering. 

Cherry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 06:58:18 PM »

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 07:03:36 PM »
That's it. 

november

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 08:14:42 PM »
I'm not sure exactly where I want to practice, city-wise - either Boston, DC, or possibly Miami (my hometown). Maryland is also a possibility.

I visited Catholic and the facilities are very impressive. Also spoke to some students, and they were all very happy with their choice. It had a small school feel to it, which I can appreciate because I am at a huge undergrad school. I love both DC and Boston, but of course Boston is more like home, having spent four years here already.

My main concerns at this point are job possibilities post-graduation, as well as reputation of both schools. They are so close in the rankings, but Northeastern just passed CUA. I wonder if this is a big deal.

weezyramo

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 08:53:45 PM »
I think both schools are comparable to each other. Def choose the school you are most comfortable with and where you want to practice. I am most probably attending Northeastern cause when I went to the info session and the open house I was blown away by the coop program and the general atmosphere of the school

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 11:15:51 AM »

If I remember correctly she was a non-traditional student who had a hard time academically.  She had some pretty harsh things to say about the administration as well.  I think she felt the school and the professors were very uncaring and didn't pay much attention to the students not at the very top of the class.  But all law students say the same thing. 

I came very close to going to Catholic because they offered $$$ and her webpage influenced me even though by itself it wouldn't have been enough to encourage me to go somewhere else.  When I visited I talked to some students who didn't seem overly thrilled to be there.  I also had some 'weird' interactions with their staff.  I tried to talk to people in the career services office and they acted like I was out of line or something.  Plus (this sticks in my mind) I set up an appointment and my home address clearly indicated I lived nowhere near DC but they call me (at home) the morning of my scheduled appointment to tell me it's cancelled.  That struck me as being kind of weird.  I also felt that the student body wasn't as 'impressive' as it was at the other 2nd schools I was considering. 

Wow, I guess sometimes you have to read the writing on the wall.  I probably would have opted against attending there as well.  I am going to be applying to CUA myself, in addition to Gtown, GW, GMU, and AmericanU.

Catholic and American are my safetys. 

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 03:53:19 PM »
Some Catholic students believe that they are disadvanted by the name of the school.  I don't know if they're right but I can see how an employer (especially one outside of the DC area) might assume that a Catholic grad choose Catholic because they were a religious Catholic.  Generally speaking lawyers are much more secular than the general population and many tend to have a kind of reflexive dislike/distrust of organized religion and Catholicism is the epitome of organized religion. 

As I written here before, your resume has about two seconds of review.  Law firms are looking for reasons to turn you down. 

With that said, however (and in light of what I wrote earlier), I think Catholic is a good school but I think they're hampered by the rise of Maryland and GMU.  What's more important though is I think they have money which spells an eventual in rankings.  I don't know the situation in Virginia and Maryland but most states are slashing funding to universities.  GMU is probably 3rd on the state funding list.