Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions for applications  (Read 917 times)

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for applications
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 10:03:23 PM »
Cool, good to know.  Thanks!

Sirkickyass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 08:11:53 AM »
Every admissions counselor ive spoken with has said not to write off being white as not diverse.

You can write about growing up in the city, the farm, a liberal in the oc, a conservative in san francisco, a devout evangelical, a super hippie, whatever.

Being Mormon certainly counts.

Now that's what I like to hear!

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 04:02:17 PM »
Thanks. I wrote my "diversity essay" on being Mormon. I don't know if that will help me out much. I'm operating under the assumption that not very many Mormons apply the top 40 law schools.

Bad assumption. BYU is one of the top feeder schools at many of the top 14 schools.

Sirkickyass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 11:56:46 PM »
Thanks. I wrote my "diversity essay" on being Mormon. I don't know if that will help me out much. I'm operating under the assumption that not very many Mormons apply the top 40 law schools.

Bad assumption. BYU is one of the top feeder schools at many of the top 14 schools.

Where did you get that info?

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 03:58:55 AM »
most schools give this info on their websites (where the school's students went for undergrad). BYU has at least several at every top school.... at Columbia, for instance, BYU is one of the top five feeder schools...

UVA is another example... 7 students of the class of 2007 did their undergrad at BYU.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/home2002/html/prospectives/class07.htm

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 09:20:59 AM »
Sirkicky***,

The BYU Pre-law office has that information, and will be happy to share it with you (I've posted it on a thread here somewhere, but I don't care enough to go hunting for it). And it is very true. BYU is a very strong feeder school for Harvard, Chicago, Michigan, and UVa. And BYU. (BYU's J. Reuben Clark School of Law is one of the top 40, y'know). But not Stanford, Yale, or many others of the top 14.

Count this as another Mormon (who is in at Colorado for fall '05).

Good luck.