Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Out-of-state vs. In-state schools  (Read 2037 times)

debstar

Out-of-state vs. In-state schools
« on: November 02, 2004, 03:59:14 AM »
Just wanted to get some thoughts from everyone here.  I'm from the So Cal area and want to eventually practice in L.A. but am considering the option of applying to some out-of-state Tier 2 schools.  My reason being - I need a change of scenery/pace!!  It seems like the general consensus is to go to school in the area you plan to practice, but is it really such an impractical decision to attend a school that is not in your area?  Thanks for your feedback.  I'm getting more and more frazzled as the days go by....

debstar

Re: Out-of-state vs. In-state schools
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 04:14:19 PM »
It just sucks cuz there's such a vast ranking discrepancy between the top tier UC schools and tier 2/3 schools like Loyola, Southwestern, USD.  The UC schools are nearly impossible to get into these days (due to budget cuts & increased applicants) and I'm not too happy to settle for the other L.A. area schools. 

*sigh*

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 02:44:03 AM »
Just wanted to get some thoughts from everyone here.  I'm from the So Cal area and want to eventually practice in L.A. but am considering the option of applying to some out-of-state Tier 2 schools.  My reason being - I need a change of scenery/pace!!  It seems like the general consensus is to go to school in the area you plan to practice, but is it really such an impractical decision to attend a school that is not in your area?  Thanks for your feedback.  I'm getting more and more frazzled as the days go by....

This depends on how you view your law school experience.  Personally, going somewhere I'm happy is a huge factor, even if I have to sacrifice some job prospects.  I mean, it's three years of my life in my 20's that I'm never getting back.  So yeah, it might be more practical to stay in your area, but even if you went to a school out-of-state, you can still do well and be perfectly happy.  Just my two cents.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

debstar

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 12:59:37 PM »

This depends on how you view your law school experience.  Personally, going somewhere I'm happy is a huge factor, even if I have to sacrifice some job prospects.  I mean, it's three years of my life in my 20's that I'm never getting back.  So yeah, it might be more practical to stay in your area, but even if you went to a school out-of-state, you can still do well and be perfectly happy.  Just my two cents.

I have to agree with everything that you just wrote!  Not to pull some cheezy zen bullsh*t, but yeah, personal happiness does mean a great deal to me.  And I mean happiness as in personal growth, etc NOT "yay I got into Harvard" happiness.  Another huge factor riding in my decision is the fact that I'm going to get into public interest law and loans and living costs need to be considered as well.  But I figure that I'm going to be swimming in debt anyways so why not tack on few extra thousands to that for living costs.  haha...   ok that's not so funny...

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 06:23:25 PM »

I have to agree with everything that you just wrote! Not to pull some cheezy zen bullsh*t, but yeah, personal happiness does mean a great deal to me. And I mean happiness as in personal growth, etc NOT "yay I got into Harvard" happiness. Another huge factor riding in my decision is the fact that I'm going to get into public interest law and loans and living costs need to be considered as well. But I figure that I'm going to be swimming in debt anyways so why not tack on few extra thousands to that for living costs. haha... ok that's not so funny...

Thanks for agreeing with me  ;)  I actually know of several people who felt like they needed a break from the Cali scene so they went to school out here.  Yeah, I hear you about the debt issue - I wish I knew for sure what I was going to do when I got out so that I could plan accordingly.  I could go to a cheaper school if I do end up working for the government, but what if I do end up wanting to go private and school rankings factor heavily?  But yeah, overall, a few thousand is a drop in the bucket.

debstar

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 06:29:57 PM »
Can I ask where "out here" exactly is?  I'd be interested to know where other Californians are scattered. 

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 06:33:46 PM »
Well, I guess I mean the east coast in general, but DC specifically.  I would have to warn you, though, some people liked the change better than others. 

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 06:38:07 PM »
just to throw my two cents in, instate school cuts my tuition roughly in half.  I'm looking at $40K instead of $80K.  I'm all for a change, but that much jack is hard to ignore.

debstar

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 01:18:13 AM »
It'd be great if I could get into a UC school, but I don't think that I have that option at this point.  UC schools are way too competitive for my numbers.  But yeah, I would take the $40k over $80K in a heartbeat if that was an option open to me.

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 01:21:38 AM »
Are all UC schools out of your range?  Are you sure?  If so, have you thought about practicing outside of Cali?