Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Out-of-state vs. In-state schools  (Read 2185 times)

debstar

Re: Out-of-state vs. In-state schools
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 01:49:25 AM »
I may have a little hope with Hastings, maaaaaaaybe Davis.  It's just that I've heard the craziest stories about people not getting into UCLA/Berkeley/Davis but getting into other top 20 schools.

And hell no I would never practice outside of Cali.  I've decided that I cannot give up good weather and the ocean for nobody  ;D

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 02:15:00 AM »
I may have a little hope with Hastings, maaaaaaaybe Davis.  It's just that I've heard the craziest stories about people not getting into UCLA/Berkeley/Davis but getting into other top 20 schools.

And hell no I would never practice outside of Cali.  I've decided that I cannot give up good weather and the ocean for nobody  ;D

Oh, great.  A another Cali elitist  ;)  Kidding.  Actually, I know that's the prevailing sentiment coming out of Cali and I don't blame them.
From what I hear, it all depends on what your gpa is.  Is it relatively higher than your lsat score?  PM me if you don't want to post your stats in front of everyone.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

debstar

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 02:16:04 PM »
Numbers, numbers..........

It's always about the numbers game.

clientbillable

• AOL Instant Messenger - sxsigma7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 02:34:07 AM »
I'm also interested in schools in California and also I'm definitely set about practicing there.

Here is my list so far:

1.  UCLA
2.  Davis
3.  Hastings
4.  USC

I have USC on the bottom of the list b/c tuition is twice as much.  I am currently in Texas and I'm a consultant.  I don't plan on going to law school until another 3-4 years.  But my company can transfer me to LA and I can become state resident within 1 year to get into any of the UC schools.

My questions to anybody in this thread:

1.  Are there any other schools within reach worth considering within California?  (Besides Stanford and Berkley..reach schools)

2.  Should USC be higher in my ranking?  If so, where?

3.  Is USC better because its a private school?  and tuition is twice as much..does that mean students should be of a higher breed?

4.  I graduated with a 3.51 GPA and I was a double business major.  Lots of leadship roles.  Also with consulting experience, I have client engagement skills.  My university is widely recognized in my city, but not nationally.  If I did well on my LSAT, would my undergraduate university affect law school's decision?  especially UCLA's?

5.  Does the UC schools prefer in state students over out of state?

Thank you folks.

-Client Billable