Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $alary Range query  (Read 6966 times)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: $alary Range query
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 02:38:08 PM »
C,
I know how you feel, I could take on IT and being a computer tech (whcih I have done for over 9 years now) and make $250,000 to strat with an MCSE or other more prestigious computer certifications. But I love law and I have since as long as I can remember (at least 9 years old maybe even younger. Good Luckin making the big bucks butmore importantly in doing what you love.

PS: This was never mentioned but your performance in those smaller firms may land you a position that other ivy grads could never get, so stay positive and don't give up on your dreams!  ;D
IVY_Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 03:02:18 PM »
Everyone should keep in mind that there is more of a benefit from a law degree beyond salary.  In a day and age when more and more of our career paths are opening up to outsourcing to lower cost overseas labor markets, a law degree opens additional doors or at least keeps them from being slammed shut.  For instance, my post-college career as an accountant is being impacted.  A whole industry is springing up to have tax return work done in India for the CPA firms.  I don't need to mention what is happening in the tech. fields. 

Not to many law jobs will be leaving the country any time soon. 
Go Bush!  (8

Yellow Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 03:06:35 PM »
There has been limited discussion on www.infirmation.com about the potential outsourcing of legal jobs to India. Most seem to think it is only practical in straight forward areas like contracts. Some time ago a link to an article that discussed one man's efforts to outsource legal jobs to India was posted. It was over a month ago.

nathanielmark

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 03:08:15 PM »
C,
I know how you feel, I could take on IT and being a computer tech (whcih I have done for over 9 years now) and make $250,000 to strat with an MCSE or other more prestigious computer certifications.IVY_Hopeful

Bull!

What kind of IT are you speaking of?  Ive been working in IT for 4 years now, in one of the best job markets in the country.  I also have an MCSD, which is a great deal more specialized then the MCSE, which is rather commonplace.  not to say my cert is worth more then the paper it is printed on.

Where on earth do you get your 250K number from?  generally, people here in the 4-8 year experience range make between 55-75K, if you are good, and can sell yourself.  there are tons of IT people out of work, which is supressing wages.  companies continue to outsource IT to India. aside from people who have worked there way high up in a large consulting firm (i.e. accenture) with excellent client relations related to large dollar contracts, or those who have a high level govenernment security clearance, i dont hear of anyone even earning 100K these days. 

where do you get your numbers from?  Do you have some extroardinarily rare skill that is in high demand?  i cant even imagine where you are going to earn your 250K from.  it sounds to me like a crock of *&^%, with all due respect.

Oh yeah, i can always buy a hotdog cart and setup shop in the summertime and make over 300K.  id rather go to lawschool though.

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 03:13:09 PM »
Yes.  The law is a bit more specialized than those other industries.

Also, I doubt most judges are going to allow teleconferenced representation in their courtroom (i.e., client represented by lawyer in India).  The Lawyers who make up our government will protect their own.

:-\

Go Bush!  (8

nathanielmark

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »

I was born and bred for this type of work

What do you mean by born and bred? If you are saying you are more suited to practice law then every other Tom,male private part, and Harry, please tell us why that would be.

nathanielmark

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 03:27:27 PM »
OK, you sold me.

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 03:32:44 PM »
Not to be argumentative, but everything I read when I was working on what to write for my personal statement indicated that just because you are good at arguing or have a lot of lawyers in the family doesn't mean you will make a good lawyer.
Go Bush!  (8

nathanielmark

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 03:41:19 PM »
Not to be argumentative, but everything I read when I was working on what to write for my personal statement indicated that just because you are good at arguing or have a lot of lawyers in the family doesn't mean you will make a good lawyer.

I think he was using that as an example.  he also said he can write very well, and is good with logic.

As far as I know, logic, speaking and writing ability are probably the most important factors, along with work ethic, research/reading ability things like that.  correct me if i am wrong.

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 03:46:42 PM »
Ok - You got me there.  I was being argumentative.
Go Bush!  (8