Law School Discussion

"i just did something cool" addendum?

dr_draino

Re: "i just did something cool" addendum?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 12:33:05 AM »
*This is in no way meant to detract from this cool accomplishment*

How would you consider speaking at an academic conference comprable to being published?

Also, I have no background on this, do schools look very favorably on published undergrads?

In terms of "prestige ranking" in academic circles, a presentation at a national conference is usually about on par with being a middle author on a paper with multiple authors.

lexylit

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 12:33:32 AM »
How would you consider speaking at an academic conference comprable to being published?

it's not as cool because it's not as permanent. but you give a paper to a bunch of PhDs, they put you on the program, you meet and mingle with others whose work is in dialogue with yours, sometimes it leads to publication... you begin to make a name for yourself within your little corner of academia. the last time i gave a paper, it was followed by an invitation to give the same one at at conference in kansas. the conference is put on by a particular group which always has a publication-- so for example the other one i did was hosted by the group for early modern cultural studies, and they have a journal.

i was on the hiring committee at my ug, and prospective profs always included both publications and papers given on their CVs.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 12:38:51 AM »
oh, you know what? it might be perfect when i'm deferred with EA, no?

and that's a lot of my schools, including 2 of my faves (penn and nyu).

i agree: perfect if deferred with EA.

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 01:10:01 AM »

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 05:07:44 AM »
Congrats, that's really cool!

If I were you, I'd write an addendum and send it on for consideration now.  It's pretty damn cool, and something that I'm sure the adcoms would appreciate knowing, and certainly something you would have included if it had happened earlier.

It's kind of like people who are taking the Dec. LSAT but sending apps now, or people in their Sr. year of undergrad applying w/o their final grades.  I don't think that an admissions committee will find it at all funny that you want to provide them with a bit more relevant information.

I'd send an addendum and include an abstract or short summary of the presentation.

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 07:15:34 AM »
*This is in no way meant to detract from this cool accomplishment*

Also, I have no background on this, do schools look very favorably on published undergrads?

In terms of "prestige ranking" in academic circles, a presentation at a national conference is usually about on par with being a middle author on a paper with multiple authors.

I think it depends on the conference and on the paper... but in general, yeah, this is true.

eileen2004

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 08:10:55 AM »

I think sending an addendum about this before actually speaking at the conference would be a little odd.  Kind of like people who apply for jobs with a projected date of graduation from a MA program they've been accepted to but have not yet begun.  That said, if you have a reason to send such an addendum after speaking at the conference, I think it's a great idea. 

lexylit

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 03:56:45 PM »
fwiw, i'm reading the materials now and it says they SELL the papers. so everyone throws in 25 copies of her/his paper and then other people can buy them. crazy!