Law School Discussion

"i just did something cool" addendum?

lexylit

"i just did something cool" addendum?
« on: November 01, 2004, 09:05:49 PM »
my apps went out in september but i just got invited to give a talk at an academic conference in march. i think this might be a cool addition to my app-- kind of likebeing published-- so i thought i might send a quick note to my schools.

yay or nay? or option c, wait until i'm waitlisted?

thanks guys  :-*

dr_draino

Re: "i just did something cool" addendum?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 09:08:03 PM »
I vote option C, but I'm always overly reserved and never want to feel like I'm barging in and interupting someone unless they make it clear they'd like to hear me speak again.

buster

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 09:09:22 PM »
I'm with you, draino.

I vote option C, but I'm always overly reserved and never want to feel like I'm barging in and interupting someone unless they make it clear they'd like to hear me speak again.

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:11:12 PM »
This tendancy does not exist in person, when I'm willing to interupt people that are talking at will.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 09:13:12 PM »
option c, 100%.  that is THE PERFECT thing to have for waitlisted.  always want s/t in backpocket that can pull out (and this happens after sent in apps so not forced in the least bit) if waitlisted.  if send it now, it will simply get lost in e/t else u've done (and sounds like u've done a lot already)
congrats.

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 09:19:05 PM »
thanks!  :D i got the email 2 mins before i posted. it's
http://www.h-net.org/~pcaaca/

does anyone else have thoughts? i just felt like if i'm in someone's borderline pile it might be an interesting thing to add, and i don't know whether anything makes a real difference by the time we're waitlisted (although we tend to think it can on this board)

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 12:01:30 AM »
that's awesome, lexy!!!  congrats!!

i vote option C too, though you could maybe send it even if you get rejected and get pushed up to the WL pile?  montauk suggests that as a possibility.  yes, i'm still reading "how to get into top law schools," even though all my apps are in.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 12:12:50 AM »
thanks!  :D i got the email 2 mins before i posted. it's
http://www.h-net.org/~pcaaca/

does anyone else have thoughts? i just felt like if i'm in someone's borderline pile it might be an interesting thing to add, and i don't know whether anything makes a real difference by the time we're waitlisted (although we tend to think it can on this board)

u sent in during september--you'll hear back, at least from several, by december so will know if need to or not with plenty of time.  ur right--come may with waitlisting it is not as helpful.  though i have a friend, two actually, who were waitlisted at penn last yr and found out in august that accepted.  (the EA ones wont waitlist, just defer to regular group--i dunno--then complicated if send to them or not)

very lil' i feel i know what i'm talking about so i usually just ask q's and let e/o else answer, but (again of course still just an opinion) i do think on this option C clearly the right choice.

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 12:24:36 AM »
oh, you know what? it might be perfect when i'm deferred with EA, no?

and that's a lot of my schools, including 2 of my faves (penn and nyu).

DeltaTauKyle

• Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 12:28:17 AM »
*This is in no way meant to detract from this cool accomplishment*

How would you consider speaking at an academic conference comprable to being published?

Also, I have no background on this, do schools look very favorably on published undergrads?