Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new member in dire need of suggestions.....  (Read 607 times)

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
new member in dire need of suggestions.....
« on: November 01, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »
I need some valuable insight on my situation:

I am a seven year veteran, currently on active duty until Dec 26, 2004. My LSAT is a 151 and my current (institutional) GPA is a 4.0. Prior to my service I attended a community college for 2 semesters w/ a GPA of 1.85. I am 30 credits from my B.A and my cum. GPA is ~3.2. Based upon my standards and recent performance i fully anticipate graduating cum laude. I have also volunteered for CASA and I am doing graduate level research with one of my professors. What are my options? Am I screwed? My target schools are UGA, UT, Mercer, Stetson and GA State. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

Gummo

Re: new member in dire need of suggestions.....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:55:55 PM »
I need some valuable insight on my situation:

I am a seven year veteran, currently on active duty until Dec 26, 2004. My LSAT is a 151 and my current (institutional) GPA is a 4.0. Prior to my service I attended a community college for 2 semesters w/ a GPA of 1.85. I am 30 credits from my B.A and my cum. GPA is ~3.2. Based upon my standards and recent performance i fully anticipate graduating cum laude. I have also volunteered for CASA and I am doing graduate level research with one of my professors. What are my options? Am I screwed? My target schools are UGA, UT, Mercer, Stetson and GA State. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Does your 3.2 have the 1.85 factored in?  If not, LSAC will do that.

All of your target schools are reaches...to have a shot at any you really would need to retake the LSAT and get a 160+ (an average of 155 would give you a shot at Mercer and Stetson).

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 08:58:27 PM »
my GPA is a 3.19 w/ the 1.85 factored in.

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:02:40 PM »

Does your 3.2 have the 1.85 factored in?  If not, LSAC will do that.

All of your target schools are reaches...to have a shot at any you really would need to retake the LSAT and get a 160+ (an average of 155 would give you a shot at Mercer and Stetson).

I am curious bc I attended a forum in ATL this weekend and the Dir. of Admissions seemed real enthusiastic about my app and even offered to help my wife find a job teaching in the area.

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 09:04:02 PM »
OOPS... UTenn, director of Admissions

Gummo

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 09:04:52 PM »
my GPA is a 3.19 w/ the 1.85 factored in.

You have a shot at Stetson, then.  The rest are reaches, but if you retake you'd have a much better chance.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 09:25:51 PM »
What about Univ South Carolina?  You've probably got a chance there.  And Cumberland.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 09:30:49 PM »
What about Univ South Carolina?  You've probably got a chance there.  And Cumberland.

I am applying to cumberland and Univ Sou.Car, as well as Fl. St. and SUNY Buff, but I am getting worried bc of my LSAT.
I wonder if my military experience and GPA (4.0 inst) will compensate

cm burns

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 10:03:21 PM »
Here is something to consider:

There are three colleges that I am aware of in the US that factor only your degree-granting GPA of 4.0: U of Seattle, Vermont U, and U of Colorado-Boulder. If you were to study hard for the LSAT in February and score around 158+ (which is possible), you would have a wonderful chance of getting money with a 4.0/158+ instead of a 3.2/151.

Actually, even if you were a 4.0/151 it makes a difference. I don't know if any of these places interest you, but it is something to consider.

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 10:04:12 PM »
I think schools are required to give preference to veterans.  Although, that may be just for undergrad.  I think your 7 years of military service will be a boost to your application.  That kind of boost would be hard to quantify though.  I would recommend applying to all the places you'd want to go, and making sure you apply to some super-safeties just in case. 

I would call the admissions office of your favorites and ask to speak to someone about it.  I'm sure they would be interested in talking to you. 

Spend a lot of time writing and re-writing a really kickass personal statement about your unique experiences and how they've affected who you are today and what unique viewpoints you could add to the school.  I think unique experience/personal statement can make up for a lot GPA-wise.  You have to make sure to give them a clear reason to want you.