Law School Discussion

What are my chances??

Re: What are my chances??
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 10:52:07 PM »
from ezboard:

http://www.lookingatstars.com/law/

if they updated it this would be a useful site.

kcy

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 09:29:49 AM »
Perhaps the best way to alleviate your anxiety is to ask the admission office directly. Let them know what your projected GPA is and your LSAT score, and they should be able to tell you whether you have a resonable chance of getting in.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 01:40:36 PM »
I was under the impression that the admissions offices don't always give really straightforward information, I've talked to the one at UBC and they say I have a chance and to apply but I don't know if that chance means 5% or 40% or what.

That's okay though, I have a while before I am applying and hopefully re-writing the LSAT will up my chances, I guess there is no way to know for sure unless you are substantially above the median entrance requirements (even then I've heard stories of some people getting rejected) or if you actually apply and see, it is my impression that there's a bit of luck involved in the admissions process just as (I beleive anyway) there's luck involved in writing the LSAT.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 11:28:10 AM »
Yes, it seems that GPA looks more at consistency so even though my average for the last two years will be about 82 maybe 83% my GPA will probably be 3.5 or 3.6. I think that UBC only looks at percentages though and doesn't convert to GPA so that is good for me. I guess right now I will just focus on re-writing the LSAT, I wish all schools just took your highest LSAT mark!

I got into UBC with GPA = 88% and LSAT = 154.  You should definitely apply to UBC, LenCanadian.  I think you have a very good shot.  And besides, UBC has a very easy application... takes 30 minutes, and however long it takes you to write a 750 word personal statement (which I never even wrote!).

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 11:29:19 AM »
I was under the impression that the admissions offices don't always give really straightforward information, I've talked to the one at UBC and they say I have a chance and to apply but I don't know if that chance means 5% or 40% or what.

That's okay though, I have a while before I am applying and hopefully re-writing the LSAT will up my chances, I guess there is no way to know for sure unless you are substantially above the median entrance requirements (even then I've heard stories of some people getting rejected) or if you actually apply and see, it is my impression that there's a bit of luck involved in the admissions process just as (I beleive anyway) there's luck involved in writing the LSAT.

From my experience, "you have a chance" means that "you are competitive" which means "You will get an offer."