• Blog
Poll: Personal Statement Topic
« on: November 01, 2004, 07:37:35 AM »
 8)

absy

• View Profile
Re: Which advice did you follow?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 07:42:55 AM »
mine was a bit of a combination.  I had a personal story that led into EC stuff and why I want to study law.

A_guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 10:10:34 AM »
my PS is a combination.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:36:46 AM »
EC is extracurricular.  mine (starting a chapter of ACLU) related to (part of) why I want to go to law school.

A_guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 10:55:44 AM »
interesting...

i have a love/hate relationship with the ACLU

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 11:22:42 AM »
mine was a little bit none-of-the-above, but it touched on academics and maybe even "why law school" and mostly "who the hell is this chick"

i suppose it was about writing and fighting, and why literary criticism & poetry is not so different from lawyer-type skills

and boston vs. california, but metaphorically, and my dad (in one version) and a guy i dated (in another version)

wow, that sounds like *&^% when i break it all down! luckily it reads better  ;)

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 12:07:35 PM »
mine was a little bit none-of-the-above, but it touched on academics and maybe even "why law school" and mostly "who the hell is this chick"

i suppose it was about writing and fighting, and why literary criticism & poetry is not so different from lawyer-type skills

and boston vs. california, but metaphorically, and my dad (in one version) and a guy i dated (in another version)

wow, that sounds like sh*t when i break it all down! luckily it reads better  ;)

no, that actually sounds really good. i bet it reads like a great story as well, ms. english major :) as of now, my PS AND my diversity statement are both about being unique... in the same way, even though PS is more about education, and diversity is just in general. but i'm kind of mad. it's about being international and i really SHOULD have something more interesting to say, but i have to get them out today. sigh...

AMB22

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 12:13:49 PM »
Mine wasn't about law, school, or ECs. I think they get way too much of that stuff and a good PS is interesting and very (obvi) personal. I wrote about two personal stories which show my personality as confident, strong and mature. I think any applicant's ECs, GPA, etc are so obvious talking about them in the PS is a big waste...you need something that adcomms will remember. That being said my PS is pretty safe.....my Yale essay on the other hand is kind of out there but with my numbers I think a "crazy" essay was my best strategy.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 12:36:12 PM »
combination of most of the elements you listed in poll.

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 02:02:50 AM »
Mine was about my 16 year old dog dying in my lap, compared that to my father, my sister, and my grandparent's dying.  Since life, career, success, failure, stress, anger, guilt etc. tend to ruin people's positive outlook on life, I keep referring back to my dog's death that has hit me harder than anything in my life.  I told a story about me, my life experiences, and goals, (yes even old people have goals), and really made a sappy sounding PS into at least what I think, a great transitional essay.  What is a successful law student?  What is a successful lawyer?  Why do I let my dog's death allow me stay grounded, and realize life is much more than law school, much more than being a great lawyer, it's about what is important to me.  Becoming a lawyer (and I explain further why) is as much important to me as having my dog back.  The way I wrote it, I guarentee a few tears were shed.