Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interstate move for law school  (Read 1128 times)

princess b

• View Profile
    • Email
Interstate move for law school
« on: April 05, 2004, 06:00:56 AM »
Hi ppl,
i will be moving from ny to ca this summer for law school. just wondering if ppl know any good/reliable moving companies that they can recommend me with....or just any tips on moving would be great! (this will be my very first long distance move) :)

jgruber

Re: Interstate move for law school
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 09:59:46 AM »
No, but make sure whoever moves you that you are going to law school.  Put the fear of future litigation in them.   :)

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 10:13:37 PM »
This is why you must have 1 friend with a pickup, renting/buying a trailer is a great way.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 01:43:43 PM »
How much do companies charge to ship your car, say from Philly to LA? Can anyone recommend any?

jdn2262

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 07:29:32 PM »
I was worried about the same thing, I could possibly be moving from miami to chicago. I plan on shipping everything via groud thru UPS or Fed Ex. I'm not bringing my car my first year, (though I'll miss her) but that's what I plan on doing.

princess b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 10:06:20 PM »
what about furnitures? can you ship bed/couches/chairs with ups?? ???

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 12:30:03 PM »
There are a million different options.  I took a lot of stuff on the plane and UPSed a few big boxes.  Check out Greyhound and Amtrak though.  They both do discount shipping (takes a long time - but it's cheap).  I think Amtrak can give you prices online, Greyhound requires a phone call.

You can also look into freight rates for pallets or check out the "hundredweight" options at UPS / FedEx, etc.

For cars - I think it's about $1000 to get a car all the way across on a train (no miles added).  You could always hire someone to drive it - probably for free since they would be getting a free trip and paying for gas - try Craigslist for that.  I'll ask my sister about car shipping - she shipped her car from Seattle to Boston.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 03:42:54 PM »
Here's what my sister said about shipping her car from Seattle to Boston:
Able Auto (i think it's ableauto.com)  Request an estimate online.  I was VERY happy with them and MANY people in my class have used it.  Cost depends on the season and where you're coming from.  I think mine was $900 in the peak season, but I've heard california is cheaper because more people are shipping from there.  It took about a week, and it was door to door (some places take it to a storage place that you have to pick it up from).  There must be at least 15 people in my class who have all used this company.  Everyone I have talked to has been happy, and I think it has been the most reasonable prices.