Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: only one academic LOR?  (Read 550 times)

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
only one academic LOR?
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:46:38 PM »
I am a current undergrad who has been generally lazy as @#!* and hadn't really gotten to know any profs.
There is one prof with whom I've taken classes and shown academic improvement and hard work and all, and she was more than happy to write my rec.
And there's another prof, with whom i've taken 2 classes and done relatively well in.... but he's a total feminine hygiene product. I really don't know if he'd write me an aite recommendation.
And that's about all the profs I know that would even remember me if I came up to them.
The question is, is just one academic LOR ok? Some schools I know for a fact require 2 academic LORs if you're an undergrad, but others that I am looking at are not. And in place of the second academic LOR, I am having my summer employer write me a letter of rec, since he freakin loved me (took me out drinking, etc)

lexylitstinks

Re: only one academic LOR?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 05:59:29 PM »
1 is fine LAZY ASS!!!

quote author=keilhur link=topic=13158.msg197191#msg197191 date=1099259198]
I am a current undergrad who has been generally lazy as #@!* and hadn't really gotten to know any profs.
There is one prof with whom I've taken classes and shown academic improvement and hard work and all, and she was more than happy to write my rec.
And there's another prof, with whom i've taken 2 classes and done relatively well in.... but he's a total feminine hygiene product. I really don't know if he'd write me an aite recommendation.
And that's about all the profs I know that would even remember me if I came up to them.
The question is, is just one academic LOR ok? Some schools I know for a fact require 2 academic LORs if you're an undergrad, but others that I am looking at are not. And in place of the second academic LOR, I am having my summer employer write me a letter of rec, since he freakin loved me (took me out drinking, etc)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: only one academic LOR?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 08:54:03 PM »
If schools require 2 academic LORs, definitely stick to the directions!

In light of your GPA and your goal to get into a top tier school though, I think you really need to make an effort to get a second academic LOR even if it's not required.  If you do approach the other prof about a LOR, arrange a face-to-face meeting and spend some time putting together a "pitch" beforehand.  In other words, you want to give him as much guidance as possible in writing the letter since he doesn't know you well.  Montauk's "How To Get Into A Top Law School" has some great advice on how to coach a prof on writing a recommendation for you.

Generally, I don't think a summer employer is going to cut it, especially since they only knew you for a short time.  If your employer "loved" you because of your analytical/research skills, make sure that's the emphasis of their LOR, NOT your social skills or work ethic.  Submitting his LOR in addition to your academic ones certainly can't hurt you though (unless all his stories revolve around drinking, etc). 
Fed gov't atty