Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: suffolk or NESL?  (Read 1461 times)

geoff tuck

suffolk or NESL?
« on: April 01, 2003, 01:17:37 AM »
suffolk or NESL? suffolk is about $8000 more...how should that figure into a decision when i am desperately relying on loans? also, suffolk's bar passage rate is significantly higher. anyone know anything about either of these schools?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: suffolk or NESL?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 11:50:35 AM »
I'm certainly no expert, but Suffolk seems to enjoy a pretty good reputation in Boston, whereas I tend to forget that NESL even exists.  The Suffolk building is soooo nice, and I also hear a lot more about Suffolk than NESL.  We have several Suffolk transfers at BU, and I've also met a lot of Suffolk people around town at jobs and such.  NESL is never as well represented.  I would go to Suffolk.

MArk

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 07:57:25 PM »
Well Geoff you are not alone...

I am debating the exact same situation right now.  I can't seem to get a real feel for this.  The posting from the BU 2L was very useful, but I would really appreciate hearing a few more responses.  This is a major decision and I do not get a sense that there is anyplace to find out about the overall quality of the two programs.

If anyone out there could shed some additional light on this subject it would be appreciated.  

Best of luck Geoff, I will probably see you in a few months in class.

Mark

mike

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 05:28:00 AM »
I would go to Northeastern if I were in your shoes.  First, NE students do not transfer to "better" schools because they choose not to.  Secondly, NE students love the school.  The school does not have a traditional ridgid grading system with A+/A/etc....  The small evniornment allows a professor to evaluate a student in a written essay not with a simple A , B , or C.  I was accepted, however I'm not going to attend because Boston is too damn cold in the winter.  
NE also has an interesting co-op program which enables students go get real legal experince for 6-months each year.  Don't go to Suffolk.  Go to NE or somewhere else.  Don't trust US News to make a decision for you based on their "accurate" rankings.   Do the research on your own and choose whats best for you......I mean would you buy a pair of shoes just because Consumer Reports said that one pair was better than the other?