Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 145 LSAT, 3.90 GPA - What now?  (Read 2749 times)

theresa11

• View Profile
145 LSAT, 3.90 GPA - What now?
« on: October 30, 2004, 03:42:28 PM »
I basically bombed the LSAT.  But I do not plan to retake it. I'm just not a very good test taker, plain and simple. Anyone have any advice?
waiting for Michigan

rogue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 145 LSAT, 3.90 GPA - What now?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 03:49:08 PM »
If you don't retake, your options are pretty limited. University of Detroit is a decent option for your situation. Oklahoma City University, Albany, South Texas, and Ohio Northern are some other possibilities. That's pretty much the best of what you have available. In my opinion if you really want to go to law school and none of these choices are what you want, then you really need to retake.

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 03:54:15 PM »
I agree. Your options will be very limited unless you retake, and if you really want to go to law school, just buckle down and do it. The thing is, you can be a bad test taker, but if you go to law school, you'll be taking 1 test per semester that will determine your grade AND of course, the bar later. I think this is why the LSAT is so important in admissions- they want to make sure you can do it once you're in. Plus, it tests a lot of skills you need for law school. If you studied a lot, took a prepcourse, took every preptest available, and still didn't do well, then maybe law school just isn't your thing. If you haven't done all of this, then you should do it and then retake the test.

YOu should keep in mind too that it's a lot better to look at other options now then in 3 years when you're in debt and can't pass the bar because you're a bad test taker.

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 04:37:47 PM »
why not retake?? you obviously studied for 4 years to get such a solid gpa!! its just one more test...and it seems to all be learnable if you invest in a class or some good books
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

NYKnicks

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 04:45:36 PM »
retake it, your GPA is great, and even if you can pop into the mid 150's on your next test, it will open up a lot of schools for you to apply to.

Cletus

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 04:53:26 PM »
Some schools invite you to argue that the LSAT under-predicted your academic potential. If you had really low SAT scores and a high college GPA, you can potentially argue that the LSAT will have the same relation to your performance in law school. I think this argument only works for borderline cases though. You aren't going to convince Yale or Harvard with this argument.

Lulu

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 06:46:45 PM »
Some schools invite you to argue that the LSAT under-predicted your academic potential. If you had really low SAT scores and a high college GPA, you can potentially argue that the LSAT will have the same relation to your performance in law school. I think this argument only works for borderline cases though. You aren't going to convince Yale or Harvard with this argument.

I don't think it will work for a score that low. Maybe if you broke 150 it would. and I'm sure you could with a little studying...I mean, you got a 3.9 GPA! Unless your major was basketweaving, you have more potential than a 145.

mikiimai

• Sr. Citizen
  • me and my sis 18 years ago.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 06:10:46 PM »
study one year like crazy. (6 hours a day)

get mid 160's next year.

apply lower t 14 or aorund 20ish school.

go to one of those school.

you future will be forever change.

Focker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 07:39:32 PM »
Suicide.

john6675

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 07:46:58 PM »
ignore focker- his screen name says it all.