Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I an underrepresented minority?  (Read 9347 times)

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
Re: Am I an underrepresented minority?
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2006, 05:50:05 PM »
Obviously it says black, you should only check it if you are black. In that case, if a white African checked that box, they'd be outright lying and they'd be wrong. But I think that if you make a case, such as in an addendum as previously suggested, you might as well go for it. This kind of categorizing invites such things.

tzip

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2006, 07:48:01 PM »

first, north africa and the middle east IS NOT AFRICAN by definition of the government's census. so if you are morrocan you are not african american. for application or any other sake. HOWEVER, if you family was kicked out of spain during the inquisition in 1492 you are hispanic. its messed up, i know, cause its been almost 600 years, which is probably enough time to not need AA on your side to get into law school. To me, it would make more sense to give AA to new immigrants than it is to define groups by historical events of the 1400's, but that's just me.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2006, 08:48:44 PM »

first, north africa and the middle east IS NOT AFRICAN by definition of the government's census. so if you are morrocan you are not african american. for application or any other sake. HOWEVER, if you family was kicked out of spain during the inquisition in 1492 you are hispanic. its messed up, i know, cause its been almost 600 years, which is probably enough time to not need AA on your side to get into law school. To me, it would make more sense to give AA to new immigrants than it is to define groups by historical events of the 1400's, but that's just me.

the census is irrelevant and why would North African not be African...and yes some middle eastern countries belong to the continent of africa...man sometimes i think i should just breeze into law school
...man, you was who you was before you got here

tzip

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
the geography doesn't matter to URM, that's the point. Morroco is a great example of this, but take Israel, arguably could claim to be Asian, European, and African, and yet is considered none of the above. I moved from there a few years ago, and for the apps I'm as white as someone whose been here since the mayflower. As far as the apps are concerned saddam hussein is white too.

wilax3man

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't mess with us pal, We're from New York...
    • View Profile
    • LSN! Leave me a message!
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »
Has anybody noted that on almost all applications, there are seperate sections for declaring race/ethnicity, and for explaining racial/socio-economic/historic disadvantage?  That is, as long as you answer both honestly, you are not misleading or doing anything morally improper.  For example, my family is mexican.  However we speak only english, and my parents have worked hard to make a good living.  My brother and I have not been disadvantaged, and so I did not claim to come from a disadvantaged background on that section of the applications.  In fact, my personal statement speaks to what a great family life I've had and makes no reference to our background.  I did however check off the hispanic box on the application, because that is truthfully my background.  I explained in my diversity statement how I felt my background affected my views on important issues, such as the current immigration policy.  I feel as though people are saying if youre not poor then you're not a minority.  That's false. 
University of Michigan Law School, Class of Twenty-Ten

JGR

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2006, 12:48:11 AM »

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2006, 08:22:18 AM »
Has anybody noted that on almost all applications, there are seperate sections for declaring race/ethnicity, and for explaining racial/socio-economic/historic disadvantage?  That is, as long as you answer both honestly, you are not misleading or doing anything morally improper.  For example, my family is mexican.  However we speak only english, and my parents have worked hard to make a good living.  My brother and I have not been disadvantaged, and so I did not claim to come from a disadvantaged background on that section of the applications.  In fact, my personal statement speaks to what a great family life I've had and makes no reference to our background.  I did however check off the hispanic box on the application, because that is truthfully my background.  I explained in my diversity statement how I felt my background affected my views on important issues, such as the current immigration policy.  I feel as though people are saying if youre not poor then you're not a minority.  That's false. 

and what are your thoughts on immigration?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2006, 09:33:23 AM »
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?