Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I an underrepresented minority?  (Read 9212 times)

Rocmavericks

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Am I an underrepresented minority?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 06:27:10 PM »
no u f ucking d ouche bag

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 06:54:39 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with checking "african american."  i also dont think there is any necessity to explain that you look european.  bIt seems to me that the only unethical action that you could take in this situation is checking the box on some law school applications that indicates that you have been disadvantaged because of your race/ethnicity (if this is not true). 

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 06:58:04 PM »
Yeah I have not been disadvantaged (they will probably assume that from my zip code)

Of course I'm not out to do something patently unethical.. but if telling the truth (and putting it in the best possible light) about where my parents and grandparents were born has even a small chance to get me into a slightly better school, I'll do it..

The question for me is, what to put down, as there are three valid choices..

Is there some sort of list or set of guidelines describing what races/ethnicities law schools generally consider to be URMs?

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 07:27:10 PM »
only skimmed what e/o said and so apologies if already mentioned but seems as though ppl feel it is wrong to check URM if not disadvantaged since intention was for disadvantaged minorities. 

a wealthy individual who has no disadvantages but qualifies culturally to check the box african-american certainly would not be considered misrepresenting himself or abusing the system.  the system has good intentions, but, as with most any system, has some flaws.  using a system as it exists is not wrong per-se.

i'm not saying whether in this spec. instance it proper or not, merely that can't say b/c not at a disadvantage therefore abusing system etc.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 08:46:07 PM »
Is there some sort of list or set of guidelines describing what races/ethnicities law schools generally consider to be URMs?

i saw a list of four groups from stanford's website posted on the board, but i can't find it on stanford's site now.  it was african-american, latinos, puerto ricans, and native americans.  but i wanted to provide a link to a source instead of my own memory.

edit: i found the post -

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,11180.msg180266.html#msg180266
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 09:18:47 PM »
Thanks again TDPookie :)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 10:11:33 PM »
you're welcome :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

lexylitstinks

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 05:25:47 PM »
No, you're just a mutt!!!!!!!!1 ;D

My mom was born in Morocco (africa), and my father and all my grandparents were born in Algeria (again, africa).

So.. I'm "african-american" right?

Well.. the thing is, I'm white.  If you saw me, you'd think I was from western europe (people guess Spain a lot)

But we all know that "african-american" is just a PC euphemism..

So.. how do I find out if I qualify as a URM?

Also, while my "ethnicity" is african american, my "race" is Berber (which explains my complexion).. so.. which would it be best for me to put down?  African American, Algerian, or Berber?

When I was applying for undergrad, I checked off African American, and I started getting all these things from schools with pictures of black people on them..  Not everyone in africa is black!  But, again, that brings us back to the whole PC thing..

So.. anyways, I'll restate my questions :D

What should I put down as my race/ethnicity (based on which one will most likely qualify me as a URM without pissing the ad coms off)?

Also, should I write an addendum?  Send a photo and a photocopy of my birth certificate?

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 07:50:16 PM »
My mom was born in Morocco (africa), and my father and all my grandparents were born in Algeria (again, africa).

Well.. the thing is, I'm white.  If you saw me, you'd think I was from western europe (people guess Spain a lot)

Also, while my "ethnicity" is african american, my "race" is Berber (which explains my complexion).. so.. which would it be best for me to put down?  African American, Algerian, or Berber?

When I was applying for undergrad, I checked off African American, and I started getting all these things from schools with pictures of black people on them..  Not everyone in africa is black!  But, again, that brings us back to the whole PC thing..

What should I put down as my race/ethnicity (based on which one will most likely qualify me as a URM without pissing the ad coms off)?

Also, should I write an addendum?  Send a photo and a photocopy of my birth certificate?

Seriously, you'll only be hurting yourself if you do this.  you can get in big trouble.  On all the apps I've seen, it says "african america/black," which signifies that they consider the two terms to be synonymous.  Africans whose ancestry is not sub-Saharan (e.g., Egyptians, Moroccans) really shouldn't check the box.  And even if you were South African (but white), you shouldn't do it.  Seriously, don't do this to yourself.  It's not worth risk.  if adcomms found out that you were white and decided that you were intentionally misrepresenting yourself, you could get in big trouble (acceptances rescinded), and maybe even have difficulty passing the character and fitness part of the bar.  And then you would have wasted 3 years of your life and $150K! 

Regal_Muse

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2004, 08:46:25 PM »

You do realize that you are a f-ing a-hole right? Based on the information you've provided, you are not an URM. I've said this time and time again: I'm so sick of people trying to manipulate the system by claming a certain racial identity  they have never associated  with before. Have you marked African American in your other applications? My mother side of the family is from primarily east and southern Africa. There is a huge socioeconomic difference between white and black Africans. The term "African American" is supposed to count black Americans who's ancestors where enslaved here, not white Africans. I say you are better off marking other instead of being a pompous ass. Have a good day!