Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minnesota a National School?  (Read 1073 times)

thechoson

Minnesota a National School?
« on: April 03, 2004, 07:33:08 PM »
I was wondering, Minnesota is ranked very high (19 in USNEWS) and seems to have a very good reputation.  I am still waiting a response for them.  With my numbers (3.2, 165) I think I only have a slim shot.
I've already gotten into Arizona State and U San Diego, which are the two schools I am deciding between.  I hope to practice in California or the neighboring states (like AZ or Las Vegas).  Having said this, if Minnesota were to accept me, would they be worth going to over ASU or USD?  Are they a national enough school with enough prestige to warrant doing this?  Wondering what everybody thought about Minnesota!
Thanks!

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota a National School?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 07:59:13 PM »
I was wondering, Minnesota is ranked very high (19 in USNEWS) and seems to have a very good reputation.  I am still waiting a response for them.  With my numbers (3.2, 165) I think I only have a slim shot.
I've already gotten into Arizona State and U San Diego, which are the two schools I am deciding between.  I hope to practice in California or the neighboring states (like AZ or Las Vegas).  Having said this, if Minnesota were to accept me, would they be worth going to over ASU or USD?  Are they a national enough school with enough prestige to warrant doing this?  Wondering what everybody thought about Minnesota!
Thanks!

I think Minnesota is a great school, but that's just me.  If you want to secure a federal judicial clerkship, it would probably be the better school to go to.  Probably better as well if you want to go into teaching.  Though most of its grads stay in the midwest (not sure if by choice or what), Minn does send 11% (in USNews 2004 data) to the West Coast.  I would probably have to pick UMinn over both USD and ASU.

But like you, I haven't heard back from them (they put me on hold awhile back and said they'd let me know by end of May -- Cardozo starts in May, so whatever =p)

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 08:02:49 PM »
I'd say it's not national.  IMHO the only national schools are the those in the top 14.  If you want to work on the west coast then go to school in the west. 

BTW, if you're thinking of teaching Minnesota isn't a good bet.  If you want to teach (and believe me that's a cushy job) then go to HYS and maybe Chicago.  Although there probably are some profs from Minnesota.  But it's insanely competitive for law school professors and that business is all about prestige. 

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 08:05:55 PM »
Hehe, I don't think he has the option of Harvard or Chicago. ;)

From this link, however, it seems Minnesota would be better for a career in teaching Law (when compared to USD and ASU):

http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings02/tenure.html

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 08:10:47 PM »
But it's getting more competitive because these people can make the $$$ without a lot of work.  Law school professors make a lot of money and can work as consultants on the side.  Plus they don't have to do BIGLAW offers and get to feel all good about themselves. 

The recent hires here have all been from HYS and almost all have clerked on the Supreme Court. 

DOWNY

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 08:21:36 PM »
little,
Did it ever occur to you that not every law school applicant has the option of attending HYS?

Also, it seems that you forgot the question was in regard to Minnesota vs. Arizona State and U San Diego. Minnesota is "more" of a national school than the other two, and it has higher bar passage and employment rates (according to US News).

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 08:26:23 PM »
Hey I'm not at HYS myself.  But what I was saying is that if you want to teach and you don't get into HYS then teaching is probably not in your future. 

None of the three schools are national.  Saying Minnesota is "more national" than the others is absurd because none of them are national. Sure Minnesota is more national than USD and ASU but what does that really mean? 

And the employment figures reported to USNews by law schools are very misleading. 

rextuxberry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 12:31:38 AM »
Minnesota is a much better school than those other two and therefore would be the better choice.  Coming from a Top 20 school you will still find employment opportunities on the west coast.  Either way you have to finish toward the top of your class, thats the best way to secure a good job.

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 09:25:57 AM »
But it's getting more competitive because these people can make the $$$ without a lot of work.  Law school professors make a lot of money and can work as consultants on the side.  Plus they don't have to do BIGLAW offers and get to feel all good about themselves. 

The recent hires here have all been from HYS and almost all have clerked on the Supreme Court. 

hey, about how much do they make money per year? roughly speaking... do they hit the 7 digit??
visit http://2lawschool.blog-city.com