Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many deposits have you sent?  (Read 3701 times)

Ryan

How many deposits have you sent?
« on: March 27, 2002, 03:34:45 AM »
I'm *almost* decided on a school, but I sent deposits to three.  Is that bad?  I know I'm not going to get my money back, but what do the schools do when you tell them you're not going after all? (I can't go to all three obviously.)

The schools don't have any way of knowing that you've sent deposits to other schools do they?

Hilarie Lloyd

Re: How many deposits have you sent?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2002, 08:51:09 PM »
Hi! I would say if there is any school that you know for SURE you DON'T want to attend then say no to that one. If they're all pretty much "tied" for your attendance probability then keep them all.
  I got a full scholarship at U of San Diego but also got into Cornell and Duke and I haven't heard from 3 more schools...so I decided to not keep San Diego cause I know I have two better schools right now. I knew San Diego, despite the scholarship, was not what I would want. Does this help?
Your friend,
Hilarie   ;D

James E Devlin

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2002, 09:49:30 AM »
One thing you may be able to do is to negotiate a scholarship or a better scholarship at the school that you might rather attend.  I was able to do this with a a full offer from a lower tier school than the school I am attending.  The comparative difference between Duke and San Diego would probably not get you a scholarship offer from Duke though.  

frd

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 06:00:04 PM »
I'm *almost* decided on a school, but I sent deposits to three.  Is that bad?  I know I'm not going to get my money back, but what do the schools do when you tell them you're not going after all? (I can't go to all three obviously.)

The schools don't have any way of knowing that you've sent deposits to other schools do they?

One question above was not answered. Can law schools do anything if you back out after sending the deposit/confirmation fee?

Brent  S

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 11:15:04 PM »
No, they can't do anything to you if you send in a deposit and then choose not to attend later. This is why some people are wait listed all the way til the beginning of the school year. I have a friend who found out he was accepted two days before school started cause a spot had opened up.

groove_theory

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 11:44:16 AM »
Don't you think that's a little selfish considering the amount of people who get waitlisted and put "On hold"?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 03:22:50 PM »
Many schools have stated in the "How to get into the Top Law School" book that if you have given one school a deposit and plan or decide to then attend another school you hshould be fully reimbersed and at the very least minimally/ or partially reimbursed.  SO I wouldn't worry about it. ANd I agree with groove_theory that it is very selfish that you do not attend after paying the deposit (to attend) and do not try to get  that deposit back and therefore not attending when someone else wants to attend is on the waitlist and can't even though they are sumarily qualified.  
I wish best of luck to all of you.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141