Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: humanitarian intervention  (Read 687 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
humanitarian intervention
« on: October 29, 2004, 05:58:29 PM »
what does everyone think about humanitarian intervention?

if a place doesnt have enough food to feed its people then giving them food aid isnot going to help them except to make them dependent on the aid.  starvation is nature's way of curbing population growth.  it seems like the planet is already over populated for the ammount of resources there are available.  at some point that overpopulation and lack of resources is going to lead to wars and humanitarian crises all over, what then?  why should we make our soldiers who signed to defend OUR constitution to pur thier life on the line for this? 

im not totally against humanitarian intervention but i just have some legit concerns, anyone else want to weigh in?
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
Re: humanitarian intervention
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 06:08:30 PM »
I agree, humanitarian intervention is always a tough call. I think that this is exactly what the United Nations is for. Humanitarian intervention should never be the responsibility of only one country. No one nation should have to shoulder that burden. Of course, the problem with the UN is that it's slow and often ineffective, but that, to me, only means that it should be fixed, not that it isn't the appropriate means to solve a crisis. Each nation should contribute its share of resources including troops. That's what living in a global community is all about.

As far as food aid goes, I definitely agree - you can't provide constant food to a country that can't support itself. But in immediate cases of famine, I think it's necessary. It just needs to be combined with other aid to that nation that will help it learn to support itself. But unfortunately, most of the famine problems are not caused by a place not having enough food to feed its people, it's caused by a corrupt government/civil war/other man-made crisis that keeps most of the people from having access to either the food or the crops.

The world population has actually plateaued and has shown signs that it might decline, thanks to the proliferation of birth control and sex education in poor, esp. rural areas. It's not a problem of scarce resources (although in 100 years, it might be, although I think by then technology will have possibly fixed this).

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 06:13:31 PM »
as soon as the oil runs out its all over because it is basically ancient sunlight (there is a great book by this name taht says it will be gone in 50 years

if there is a famine then shouldnt we let nature run its course?  we must protect our own country first and foremost

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 06:52:31 PM »
right for who? no matter how much aid we send it will never be enough.  we do spend a lot on israel but we can either pick one place to spend resources and do an effective job or spread those resources over the globe evenly where they'll accomplish nothing

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 08:21:25 PM »
Reserves of oil are not decreasing, and the peak is based on educated guesses.  There are some respectable scientists that contend most oil is not simply 'fossil fuel.'  If they're right, we're fuked.
No longer here.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 08:29:58 PM »
Reserves of oil are not decreasing, and the peak is based on educated guesses.  There are some respectable scientists that contend most oil is not simply 'fossil fuel.'  If they're right, we're fuked.

what exactly do they contend it is?
3.8/155

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 08:42:26 PM »

what exactly do they contend it is?

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1130.html
No longer here.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 09:55:03 PM »
that's interesting but how would we be screwed?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 02:46:42 AM »
that's interesting but how would we be screwed?

Well, I don't believe that ever increasing amounts of CO2 are good for us, not necessarily because of global warming, but because the atmosphere can only recycle so much of the stuff in not a very short amount of time.
No longer here.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 02:56:09 AM »
there is a book called Global Rift...which sheds much light on why and how the world is the way it is.  if aye think of the publisher's name aye'll write that down...also a book called simply...Famine...also helpful.

px.o.rsta
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare