Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Minority  (Read 1519 times)

LimitsOnLimits

• Meow to you
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Minority
« on: October 29, 2004, 11:05:21 AM »
Hey guys, I saw some people saying on this board say that if you are a under represented minority, it's almost the same as having 10 extra points on your lsat.  What do you guys think?  ::) :o

zeroaffinity

• Sr. Citizen
  • would I ask you a rhetorical question?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Minority
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:45:20 PM »
Hey guys, I saw some people saying on this board say that if you are a under represented minority, it's almost the same as having 10 extra points on your lsat.  What do you guys think?  ::) :o

Although you didn't use those two special words, "affirmative action", there's typically a lot of overlap between AA and what you're asking. Touchy subject for most, I imagine. I don't want to get into that, but I'll say that if you are part of a group that an institution is interested in strengthening representation in, then you have perceived value and, all things being equal, will realize a competitive advantage. On the other hand, those looking for 10 point freebies, if such a thing exists, might consider studying a little more in undergrad and putting in the time on LSAT preparation so these props won't be necessary.

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 08:41:14 PM »
it depends on teh school and teh applicant pool. it's discretionary not mandatory. and i personally think that 10 points is way too much. not worth counting on.

ScurvyWench

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 03:17:21 AM »
From what I hear, it's more like 2-4 points at the schools that actually do it. But you have to show quite a bit of promise elsewhere for them to want you bad enough (ie work experience, EC, resume, PS, LORs, saving the world, etc). I don't think it's necessarily based on race though, if you've saved the world but have a low LSAT they would probably consider you whatever the race.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 03:53:27 AM »
no, its  near 10 at many schools. Go check LSN.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

DOWNY

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 05:03:21 AM »
10, sometimes 20-30. It's awesome.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 10:39:34 PM »
lol@ 2-4 points!

hahah, seriously that is a joke.  a urm with a 160 has prospects that anyone else with a 165 could only dream about.   7-12 points is probably more accurate.

ootme

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 01:47:26 AM »
I hear sometimes  URMs get 200 extra points

DOWNY

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 02:35:32 AM »
ROFLOL