Law School Discussion

REA Prep Book For LSAT - does it stink?

dta

REA Prep Book For LSAT - does it stink?
« on: April 03, 2004, 12:53:42 AM »
Has anyone read the REA prep book for the LSAT? I've taken the first two practice tests in it. The first one was OK. One of the logic games was nothing like anything on a real LSAT, but other than that it was OK. And, i just skipped that game and since i never am able to complete more than 3 games in a test it didn't bother me too bad.

But i just now finished the second practice test in this book. Damn! The reading comp section was atrocious! Especially the last two passages! Although the passages themselves were reasonable the questions asked are ridiculous and nothing like real LSAT RC questions. It's like the author made them while stoned!

Anyone else have this impression?

My all time favorite idiotic question in this section was #14:

"Why should people disagree about the health insurance issue described by the author?"

First of all "should"? And who are these "people" he's talking about? Me? And the credited response for this question was (B):

"Many voters embrace the capitalist system where many decisions should be confined to the private sector without governmental policies which assure all people health care protection."

Nowhere in the passage does it ever talk about voters, or capitalism, or (of course) whether any voters prefer capitalism. I was just like - WTF! The author completely pulled this question out of his ass!!!

Louder Than Bombs

Re: REA Prep Book For LSAT - does it stink?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 11:24:14 AM »
dta, I think you are wasting your time and money with these prep books/tests that contain fake LSAT questions. First off, for the amount of money you spent on the book, you could buy a real LSAT from LSAC. Second, even taking actual LSATs without studying the explanations will most likely have no effect or at best a marginal effect on your score. The most important part of studying for the LSAT is understanding why a certain answer is correct and the others wrong for a particular question, and changing your methods of approaching/attacking certain sections and question types.

I recommend you take an LSAT course. If you choose Kaplan, they have all the released LSATs available (about 40 tests). You seem to be pretty dedicated in terms of your study habits. This is very good - the Kaplan course (and I am sure the same can be said for most other courses as well) is really most rewarding to those who practice the methods diligently. Since you seem to be this type of person, I believe that you would benefit from taking an LSAT course more than most people.

However, if you are scoring highly (in the mid 160's) on your (actual LSAT) practice tests, then I wouldn't recommend taking a course - they are quite expensive and may even have detrimental effects due to the fact that the methods may be quite foreign. Maybe buy an LSAT or two, perhaps a Kaplan book to get a few quick tips, take the practice tests in sections to get your timing down, and you will be fine.

Chris

dta

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 02:13:41 PM »
I've purchased all LSAT's made available by the LSAC. The problem is that, if i let myself loose i'd chew through all of them way too soon. I need some additional practice material or i'd use up that ammo too soon. On top of that, I'm taking a Princeton Review prep course and they use LSAT exams #20-#39 in their materials, which means I can't use these as additional self-study beyond what the course teaches. So, i've bought prep books to sort of serve as chew toys for the next 2-3 weeks before i begin taking lots of real LSAT's per week. I'm taking like 1 real LSAT per week now but I need something else to do for the rest of each week. The PR homework only takes a little bit of time from the week. I've quit my job and am studying full time for the LSAT so I need as much study material as possible to feed the machine.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »
Wow...talk about dedication!  You really quit your job so that you could focus solely on LSAT preparation?

What are you scoring on the previously administered LSATs? 

Victor

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 02:35:44 PM »
I've purchased all LSAT's made available by the LSAC. The problem is that, if i let myself loose i'd chew through all of them way too soon. I need some additional practice material or i'd use up that ammo too soon. On top of that, I'm taking a Princeton Review prep course and they use LSAT exams #20-#39 in their materials, which means I can't use these as additional self-study beyond what the course teaches. So, i've bought prep books to sort of serve as chew toys for the next 2-3 weeks before i begin taking lots of real LSAT's per week. I'm taking like 1 real LSAT per week now but I need something else to do for the rest of each week. The PR homework only takes a little bit of time from the week. I've quit my job and am studying full time for the LSAT so I need as much study material as possible to feed the machine.

Yeah I know what you mean about using up all the ammo.

I think quiting your job is a smart move. Especially if it's one of those meaningless cubicle jobs where all you do is file and time stamp stuff.

So you're not in school now?

dta

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 02:59:34 PM »
I hated my job. I quit for other reasons. To go hiking in the woods over winter. Was out in the woods of the Appalachians this winter for about 6 weeks. Decided I wanted to go to law school. Realized I couldn't start till Fall 2005. Rather than get another job right away and juggle LSAT studying with my new job, I just decided to wait till after the LSAT to get another job for the year before law school begins in Fall 2005.

My very first LSAT score was a 150 (no studying - just took a cold diagnostic). I now score fairly consistently in the 158-162 range. Sometimes higher (highest was a 165 so far), sometimes a bit lower (but now very rarely lower than 158).

I'm kinda at a low 160's plateau right now. I'm hoping LSAT training is like athletic training. You go from one plateau to the next and must wait a bit at each plateau before making another improvement up to the next plateau.

My goal is a 164 on the LSAT. That will give me a good shot at UT - my number one school.