I am a God among mortals.
7 (15.2%)
It's strong.
16 (34.8%)
It's better than most.
12 (26.1%)
It's okay.
8 (17.4%)
I wish I'd sent in a blank sheet of paper instead.
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Poll: How satisfied are you with your PS?

Hocine

• View Profile
Re: Poll: How satisfied are you with your PS?
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2004, 02:50:13 AM »
Bad breakup?

DOWNY

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2004, 02:51:19 AM »
Naw, that was in high school. It was kid stuff.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2004, 08:00:02 AM »

Don't act like you didn't look it up yourself :P

Anyway, language was created to aid in communication, not to facilitate silly arguments about semantics.  hoo karez if eye dunt tipe korrectlee?  You still understand what the guy was trying to say :P

The problem with your statement is that you assume that anything that gets the point across is worthy of usage.  I could wave my arms around or draw pictures a la "Win, Lose or Draw", but that would not be as effective.  adhering to general guidelines helps to ensure that meaning remains with the words, rather than losing this relationship.  widespread usage of "irregardless" bastardizes the morpheme "ir-" and can cause it to lose its inherent meaning of "not".

playing with words to further facilitate communication (e.g. coining words) is an appropriate change to language; the eradication of any link to original meaning is not.

dr_draino

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2004, 08:27:27 AM »
Um, it was a joke referencing a thread from wo weeks ago.   Do I use the  ;) very often?

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2004, 08:31:15 AM »
oh, and how satisfied am I with my PS?

ask me in the spring.

dr_draino

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2004, 08:37:22 AM »
After reading addendum after addendum and optional essay after optional essay on this board about "maturing" after undergrad and why someone got a low gpa, I'm very very satisfied with my optional essay that covers that topic.  As for my main PS, it's aight...kinda like my LSAT score, it's functional and gets the job done.

Hocine

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »
The problem with your statement is that you assume that anything that gets the point across is worthy of usage.  I could wave my arms around or draw pictures a la "Win, Lose or Draw", but that would not be as effective.  adhering to general guidelines helps to ensure that meaning remains with the words, rather than losing this relationship.  widespread usage of "irregardless" bastardizes the morpheme "ir-" and can cause it to lose its inherent meaning of "not".

playing with words to further facilitate communication (e.g. coining words) is an appropriate change to language; the eradication of any link to original meaning is not.
Your example is immaterial because it doesn't effectively get the point across.

"irregardless" gets the point across.

so doz dis, it getz dA point akross t0 da peeple hoo r reedin it

There is no miscommunication

If exactly what I mean is clear, and you start an argument simply for the sake of arguing semantics, then that is just silly..

Now your example of waving your arms doesn't really get the point across effectively, and I think that's why you chose it.  But can you see why it doesn't apply here?  Think back to understanding the "scope" of the argument, and "relevance" in general, during your LSAT prep.

Also, the second part of your argument which says that misuse of this prefix will cause it to lose it's meaning is what is called a Slippery Slope fallacy.  Since you don't seem to understand what that is, I've provided an explanation below.

And about your implication that "irregardless" has no link to the original meaning ("the eradication of any link to original meaning is not"), what he meant by the word was clear.  So obviously there was a link to the meaning because it was obvious what the guy meant. 

The "slippery slope" fallacy infers extreme and dramatic consequences from a single cause, usually by skipping over details of how the mountain will grow from the molehill.

If we let this person shoplift without administering a severe punishment, the next thing you know, everyone will shoplift; stores will be forced to close down; there will be panic buying and total economic collapse.

Today, marijuana is outlawed. Tomorrow it will be alcohol and cigarettes; eventually, you and I will not be allowed legally to buy a cup of coffee without being arrested.

lexylitstinks

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2004, 05:01:06 PM »
OMG, you are FAT GIRL!!!!  PLEASE put Kelly from Saved by the bell's pic back up!! OMG!!!!!

Now that people have sent in some/all of their apps and are either finished with, or nearly finished with, their PSs, I was just wondering....

I mean, I know ideally, we'd all work on it till it was 100 percent perfect but there are time constraints and the like that prohibit us from doing so.  And then there are others who have excellent scores that are applying to mediocre schools and opt not to bother spending a ton of time on the PS.  Whatever your situation, how do you feel about your PS now?

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2004, 05:06:40 PM »
Hocine, I'm just going to respond succinctly.  People who matter sometimes care, and thus so do I.

lexylit

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2004, 10:52:38 PM »
The last time something like this happened was when I accidentally puked on Baker Tower. I know I'm going to hell for that one.

downy went to dartmouth, downy went to dartmouth... hmm, or else he went to hanover high  :D