I am a God among mortals.
7 (15.2%)
It's strong.
16 (34.8%)
It's better than most.
12 (26.1%)
It's okay.
8 (17.4%)
I wish I'd sent in a blank sheet of paper instead.
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Poll: How satisfied are you with your PS?

Re: Poll: How satisfied are you with your PS?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2004, 09:40:52 PM »
Finished my PS and sent it off to be edited.  I really wanted to do my PS in bullet points:
-I'm smarter than my academic index indicates
-I'll work real hard
-Pick me and  you won't be sorry

Obviously that wouldn't cut it..I've been out of school 20 years and haven't written an essay since.  Business writing is sooo much different...

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2004, 09:54:51 PM »
I chose "It's strong", since I have no idea (like others) whether or not it's better than average.  It's strong for me and displays my good qualities and unique experiences well.

I personally think it sucks (the more I read it, the more sick of it I get), but everyone else I've read it (professors, LSDers, my brother - objective much? ;) - have said it's strong, so I'll go with them).  I really do like it; I've just read it too much as of late.

kristay

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2004, 01:48:01 AM »
I chose "It's strong", since I have no idea (like others) whether or not it's better than average. It's strong for me and displays my good qualities and unique experiences well.

I personally think it sucks (the more I read it, the more sick of it I get), but everyone else I've read it (professors, LSDers, my brother - objective much? ;) - have said it's strong, so I'll go with them). I really do like it; I've just read it too much as of late.

Other applicants should be so lucky to have a personal statement like yours, Matokah.

Anyway, I was satisfied with my PS...it wasn't amazingly wonderful and profound, but it was good enough for me (ie. I got sick of the stupid thing and refused to touch it anymore...besides, I have my own personal theory on just how good a PS has to be).  It was as good as it could be without turning into two pages of cliches.

Hocine

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2004, 01:57:25 AM »
I wish I'd sent in a blank sheet of paper instead.

I haven't written any of them yet, but I really have nothing good to write about..

I'm going to have to go to an "LSAT whore" school

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2004, 02:01:14 AM »
Other applicants should be so lucky to have a personal statement like yours, Matokah.

Anyway, I was satisfied with my PS...it wasn't amazingly wonderful and profound, but it was good enough for me (ie. I got sick of the stupid thing and refused to touch it anymore...besides, I have my own personal theory on just how good a PS has to be).  It was as good as it could be without turning into two pages of cliches.

You are the most wonderful person.  Ever.  &I agree with you; I wasn't really trying to be profound; I just want to show ad comms who I was and what I learned from my experiences (+why this would make me a good law student).  But now that I've pretty much got the thing revised to death, I think I'm done with it.  I just need to add that personalized statement to the end of each one 9 more times, and I'll be set. :D

&on a totally unrelated note, I absolutely hate Cornell's application.  They want me to fill out three separate sheets, detailing honors, extracurriculars (uhm. . .does that mean things like my research assistantship and my figure skating TA appointment that I didn't get paid for?), and work experience.  Why the heck won't they just let me send in my CV?  ???  That's coherent and exhaustive.  

P.S. I sent you a message (PM) that was long and rambly, but my computer's acting up, so I have no idea whether or not you got it.  

DOWNY

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2004, 02:05:02 AM »
I love how EVERYONE on here that is asking about compensating for a crappy LSAT says "I have a strong PS."

I love how people with T.T.T. trailer park lives compensate by making up LSAT scores.

You = T.T.T. LF
DOWNY = GOD

FOAD (@#!* Off And Die)

DOWNY

DOWNY

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2004, 02:25:18 AM »
I wrote my personal statement about the time Jay and I ate mushrooms while driving. I was driving and all the shadows kept moving into each other and had weird tracers- you know what I'm talking about. Well, as we were pulling out onto the street I had this eerie feeling that something bad was going to happen. Then it happened- I heard this sickening *thump* as if I just ran someone over. I looked back through the window but I was too screwed up to see. 'Did I just run someone over?' I had no idea- I looked to Jay but he was so f-ing lazy he wouldn't have cared anyway. To this day I still don't know. The last time something like this happened was when I accidentally puked on Baker Tower. I know I'm going to hell for that one.

DOWNY aka 1LCOHOLIC

DOWNY

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2004, 02:30:54 AM »
Whatever guys, you know acceptane is all about the intangibles.

drainsy, we accept you regardless of your intangibles  ;)

You mean irregardless of my intangibles, right?  ;)

Draino:
DOWNY would like to inform you that "irregardless" is not a word. In actuality it is a false permutation of "irrespective" and "regardess"- a semantic bastardization, if you will. DOWNY thought you would want to know.
HTH

Hocine

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2004, 02:38:06 AM »

Draino:
DOWNY would like to inform you that "irregardless" is not a word. In actuality it is a false permutation of "irrespective" and "regardess"- a semantic bastardization, if you will. DOWNY thought you would want to know.
HTH
Don't act like you didn't look it up yourself :P

Anyway, language was created to aid in communication, not to facilitate silly arguments about semantics.  hoo karez if eye dunt tipe korrectlee?  You still understand what the guy was trying to say :P

DOWNY

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2004, 02:48:31 AM »
1. Actually I did not look it up, I learned it a couple years ago in an English class. Is DOWNY the linguist who discovered the incorrect merge betwene "irrespective" and "regardless"? No. I give full credit to school.

2. Silly arguments about semantics are awesome. I f-ing love them, irregardless of what you say.

3. I hate when people write "alot." "Alot" is incorrect; the correct term is "a lot." One time I had a girlfriend who would write it "alot," but out of sheer laziness I never pointed it out. Hopefully she still writes it incorrectly. [I just thought of this because of the talk re: semantics. Nobody wrote "alot" on this thread, as far as I know].

HTH
DOWNY