Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: adjusted GPA  (Read 1617 times)

antigop

• View Profile
    • Email
adjusted GPA
« on: October 27, 2004, 04:24:50 PM »
Ok so i've read some of the other threads on this...but is it really possible for my GPA to go from 3.25 to 2.98? I just take to a rep from Chapman who was on campus and she said it sounded strange. By the way..i'm new hi everyone  :)

Lulu

Re: adjusted GPA
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 01:32:59 AM »
It's possible if your school calculated GPAs using higher numbers than LSAC or if you were on a different scale than strict 4.0

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 10:16:02 AM »
Also, your GPA could change if you retook any classes and your undergrad. school only counted the higher grade into your GPA with them.  LSAC counts grades in classes you retook and grades in the original class.  My GPA dropped from a 3.57 to a 3.5.  Still, I have to agree with the rep, a 3.25 to a 2.98 does seem a little extreme...but, I suppose, is is possible. 
Attending: Texas

Lulu

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 07:52:34 PM »
you could call lsac and ask why... that's what i would do. as in, ask their methodology for calculating and then check your school's methodology. i think yeah, it sounds extreme, but that it's entirely possible in circumstances.

LN135

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 09:09:24 AM »
Do they give you a breakdown of the grade they think you got in each class? (I'm still waiting for mine to actually get processed, so I have yet to see what they do with it...)  If so, I would check it over really carefully for mistakes.  I know someone who graduated at the top of her (engineering) major, only to have the LSDAS count an A she got as a D instead.  It took her months to get it straightened out.  Maybe a processing error like that could explain the change in your GPA.

lexylitstinks

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 06:03:07 PM »
Heck yah it's possible.  just drop out now!

Ok so i've read some of the other threads on this...but is it really possible for my GPA to go from 3.25 to 2.98? I just take to a rep from Chapman who was on campus and she said it sounded strange. By the way..i'm new hi everyone  :)

ScurvyWench

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 12:59:04 AM »
My GPA went from a 3.4x to a 3.23 when LSAC converted it. They decided not to count some of my required courses in women's studies. Yay fun. LSAC can really drop your GPA and unfortunately, it's not uncommon. However, since that does put you in a different range of application, I would definitely call LSAC and throw down the guantlet.

kristay

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 01:02:21 AM »
ScurvyWench, why did the LSAC not count some of your required courses in women's studies?  Do I need to worry about them not counting some of my English classes now?

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »
I went from a 3.86 to a 3.69 so it's not too unusual.
You can see my numbers at LSN

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »
Yeah, this totally sucks for me too...because my school doesnt' have an A - or B - or use the AB system, all my B+'s (3.5's at my undergrad institution, a 93-87) are counted as 3.33's.  Which means my GPA went from a 3.75 to a 3.55.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!