Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BYU Wait List  (Read 4072 times)

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
BYU Wait List
« on: April 01, 2004, 11:18:02 PM »
Not likely, but anyone else on the waitlist for BYU?  It is by far my first choice...

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BYU Wait List
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 11:05:38 PM »
I applied to BYU, but have not yet heard anything. What were your stats, and when did you submit your application? Also, how long did it take to receive a response? 

Thanks for the info!

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 11:18:35 PM »
I applied in like October and haven't actually gotten my letter yet, but I called on Wednesday to see what was taking so long and they told me I was on the wait list and that my letter went out that day, so I should have the letter by Monday I guess.  I have no idea where I am on the waitlist or anything like that, but I'm REALLY hoping I get in!  I had a 160, 3.02, and those are lowish for BYU but what I'm thinking is it may have helped that I am a) a girl, b) from the east coast, and c) went to a Seven Sisters college.  All of those things are rare at BYU from what I gather :-)  Where else did you apply?  Have you gotten in anywhere else?  Stats?  I'm so excited to find someone else who also applied there! (don't meet to many LDS folks around here at all...you're LDS probably?)

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 11:24:53 PM »
Hmmmmm...that is an assumption that I am LDS, but on paper I suppose I am.  Not to mention, I had to meet with the bishop of the local ward to complete the character and fitness "evaluation" that BYU requires...

I have a 3.82 GPA (magna cum laude), but only a 155 LSAT...

But have some good work experience at a non-profit dealing with legal matters...so maybe that'll earn me a few extra points, but i'm not holding my breath for getting into BYU, even being waitlisted, because of my relatively low LSAT score, and what the median is at BYU...

oh well, I was rejected at Univ of Utah last week, but accepted at Indiana Univ - Indianapolis with scholarship, and Univ of Montana, among a few other places..

I applied to 23 places, and I am still waiting on over half to receive a response from...

How about yourself???

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 11:35:44 PM »
I'm in a similar situation I guess, applied to 22 places, all over the country because I just wasn't sure where I wanted to be.  Got rejected from the U also, so I was surprised to get the wait list at BYU when they are ranked higher than the U, but whatever.  I'm in at Denver, Roger Williams, and U of Maine, and leaning towards Denver but really hoping for BYU. I'm still waiting on 5 applications. 

Have you visited the U of Montana?  I was living in MT when I started applying to schools so I took my LSAT there, didn't like the building much but Missoula is a cool town; although I don't think the school has much recognition outside the mountain states. I don't actually know anything about their academics and stuff.

BYU told me on the phone that "the letters" went out Wednesday, which I think implies they sent out a bunch, so maybe you'll get yours Monday too!

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 11:52:41 PM »
University of Denver is apparently a good school! Although you'll have to adjust to the altitude, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Haven't been to Univ of Montana, but know of a graduate who is now working in North Carolina with a very good job...

I am hoping for Univ of Oregon though, and perhaps Lewis & Clark (waitlisted at L&C)...

oh well...Thanks for the info re: BYU.  Best of luck with the pending responses from the schools you haven't heard from yet!

GMULAW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 07:11:08 PM »
I posted something on the other BYU topic list. My advice, and this is coming from someone who is working for a Federal Judge this summer in Utah, in the top 20% at GMU, and got into BYU LAW from BYU Undergrad. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! Go to a large city where oppurtunites will fly at you, where speakers will come from all over, where being LDS is not so normal, and where most importantly you can freely talk about the law. I am an active LDS getting ready to get married in the DC temple and I know LDS cringe at my last statement, but you want to go somewhere with academic freedom concerning the law.  I can not say enough good things about my undergrad experience at BYU, but there was a lack of diversity. Go out to the world and hear other views and be an example to others.  All you LDS know what I am talking about.  I promise you will not regret it. Tell the waitlist to go to hell and take your second option because it will be the better one in the long run!
I will choose a path that's free, I will choose free will

cat.chili

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 11:10:27 PM »
Hi GMULAW,

I was wondering if you had any specific information about your opinion of BYU law.  I am strongly considering attending and want additional opinions of the school both good and bad.  Ironically I was also considering GMU but I just couldn't justify the cost difference given similar statistics; however if I can get off of the George Washington wait list (not a really good chance considering the thousands of people on it along with me) I could make a case for it. 

Anyway, I've heard many really good things about the school and haven't come across anyone who felt that BYU law was over-rated.  And all of the students I've come into contact with have had no problem finding great jobs.  On the other hand I've had many of the same misgivings that you brought up in your post, too conservative, too homogenious, too much pandering to 'LDS royalty' (automatic admits), in a small town ETC.  Thanks for your input

Joe

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 04:01:29 PM »
Maybe this person really DOES want to go there but is on a wait list or pending and thus wants to discourage OTHER people from going there :-) Or maybe I've just been thinking about this too much.

drpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 06:41:46 AM »
If you want to work in the east gmu might be a better idea but if you want to work in the west BYU is a better school, not to mention the price difference.  Teh problem with BYU is that it is so cheap that they attract people that could get in to much better schools so you are competing much harder for a ranking. and ranking matters when you are looking for a job but I don't think that BYU's ranked above GMU for nothing.  I think it is a great school and had a hard time turning them down, you cant get a better environment and oyu get your own carrel for studying in the library, how can you beat that.