Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BYU Wait List  (Read 4192 times)

GMULAW

• View Profile
Re: BYU Wait List
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 03:11:12 PM »
Marista99,
Yes you are thinkign to much, I got into BYU law last year for the Fall 2003 class and decided to come to GMU, even though I left my fiancee out there to finish his undergrad. Chances are your numbers are not good enough for BYU and you would be in over you head. Suffolk is a great regional, so go there and be happy. It is better to go to a 4th Tier and be content than dream about the 1st Tier that will never happen and be miserable. When all is said and done a law degree is a law degree is a law degree.  K, back to studying for contracts.....joyous finals exams....I do miss that about BYU...they are done around this time of year!
I will choose a path that's free, I will choose free will

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 02:56:46 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I got a letter last week that they will not be taking anyone from their waitlist, which is what I expected but still a bummer.

mphillips030

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 12:20:34 PM »
I have also been waitlisted by BYU.  I'm a little annoyed about it, but oh well.  I graduated Magna Cum Laude from BYU-Hawaii and at the time we were told by BYU Law that they really wanted excuses to admit BYU-Hawaii grads (they don't typically admit too many). 

Like I said, Magna Cum Laude, 164 LSAT, and all the other goodies.  Of course I am a white male, maybe that's what got me.

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »
LOL man, something tells me that if there was a place where being an average white guy would NOT be held against you in the precess BYU would be it.  Its just that BYU is the feeder school for BYU-LS.  They try to get (from the numbers I've seen) 50% of their class from BYU.  150 BYU students were admitted to BYU-LS last year, 100 went.  I wonder what the stats on BYU-H and BYU-I atudents getting to BYU-LS are.  Have you taken a look at your BYU-H's updated Action Report?

walty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 04:38:44 PM »
I've actually been admitted to BYU but I haven't decided yet. I would agree that BYU diversity of exressed opinion is pretty limited and that may be one reason I consider going elsewhere. I don't think I'll agree with a lot of ideas I hear in much more liberal schools but it interests me and I don't want the first time I hear it to be while I'm in practice. In terms of opportunities, I have heard that BYU has a great placement program and strongly encourages people to work outside Utah.
3.5/173
In: GMU(declned), BYU(declined), Notre Dame(22K Deposit down), UVa(off wait list)
Out: Stanford, Harvard
WL: Columbia, USC, UCLA, GULC, NYU, Chicago

mphillips030

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
LOL man, something tells me that if there was a place where being an average white guy would NOT be held against you in the precess BYU would be it. 

I think because they have to work so hard at diversity, being a white guys is a problem.  Also, the Law School was suprisingly diverse compared to the rest of the campus.  That is not saying much though.  When I walked around the regular campus for about an hour, I kid you not, I did not see one single non-white person.  Scary.  In the law school, however, I saw maybe three non-white people.  That's a great leap forward for Provo.

Have you taken a look at your BYU-H's updated Action Report?

What is the "Updated Action Report?"

rogue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »
I got a rejection from BYU, I'm actually a BYU-Idaho undergrad and hoped that that would help me some. I didn't realize that 75% of BYU's class was from BYU undergrad. I thought I really wanted to go to BYU, but I'm kind of glad for the rejection. It's true that BYU is way cheap, but I look forward to learning in a more diversified school. I received a scholarship offer from Case Western and I think I'll be taking it. I look forward to going to law school in a city that is a top legal market, and I think that city will provide a lot more opportuntities than Provo. Having attended BYU-I for undergrad, I know there are some advantageds for an LDS person to attend an LDS school, however, I also feel that I have missed out on some other opportuntities and I look forward to having those at Case.

Another reason for me that I'm kind of glad I didn't get into BYU is because I know if I got accepted I probably would have taken the offer because it's so cheap, but I really have no desires to live in Utah, I would have been fine to live there for three years for law school and then get out, but the majority of BYU grads stay in Utah so it's probably for the best. Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the matter.

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 02:01:29 PM »
mphillips030:

Yeah, there are not manny of us walking around.  The Action Report is a tabulation (provided by LSAC to your UGrad) that tells you which schools students from your institution applied to.  For each school you get the average GPA and LSAT score of all those who applied, the same numbers for all those who got in, and finally, the same numbers for all those who actually went.  You also get the number of admitted students who got other offfers.  Call your Pre-law Advisment Center.

walty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 06:09:01 PM »
I don't know how to really quantify diversity but I saw on a website a diversity index(LSAC maybe?) and BYU wasn't at the very bottom. It was closer to the middle. I think BYU would be very interested in increasing its racial diversity and would give good scholarships to encourage more minorities to come.
3.5/173
In: GMU(declned), BYU(declined), Notre Dame(22K Deposit down), UVa(off wait list)
Out: Stanford, Harvard
WL: Columbia, USC, UCLA, GULC, NYU, Chicago

jdw112

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »
African-American: 1.4%
American Indian: 1.7%
Asian-American: 4.3%
Mexican-American: 2.3%
Puerto Rican: 0.0%
Other Hispanic-American: 5.0%
White: 81.8%

Nice pie chart: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/directory/dir-law/brief/stude_03156_brief.php

I don't know how to really quantify diversity but I saw on a website a diversity index(LSAC maybe?) and BYU wasn't at the very bottom. It was closer to the middle. I think BYU would be very interested in increasing its racial diversity and would give good scholarships to encourage more minorities to come.