Law School Discussion

Difficult LR question

Difficult LR question
« on: October 27, 2004, 01:32:57 PM »
21. Pizzerias are the only restaurants that routinely record the names, addresses, and menu selections of their customers. Simply by organizing these data, they can easily identify regular, average, and infrequent customers. Therefore, pizzerias utilize direct-mail marketing more effectively than do other restaurants.

Which of the following, if assumed, enables the argument's conclusion to be properly inferred?

A. Restaurants other than pizzerias cannot easily identify regular, average, and infrequent customers.

B. For restaurants, utilizing direct-mail marketing requires the names, addresses, and menu selections of at least some customers.

C. For restaurants, the identification of regular, average, and infrequent customers generally involves recording the names, addresses, and menu selections of at least some customers.

D. Utilizing direct-mail marketing is rarely beneficial for restaurants that cannot identify regular, average, and infrequent customers.

E. Restaurants that routinely record names, addresses, and menu selections of their customers always utilize direct-mail marketing more effectively than do any other restaurants.

Cory

• Greatest. Game. EVER.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Toasty981
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Difficult LR question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 01:47:08 PM »
21. Pizzerias are the only restaurants that routinely record the names, addresses, and menu selections of their customers. Simply by organizing these data, they can easily identify regular, average, and infrequent customers. Therefore, pizzerias utilize direct-mail marketing more effectively than do other restaurants.

Which of the following, if assumed, enables the argument's conclusion to be properly inferred?

A. Restaurants other than pizzerias cannot easily identify regular, average, and infrequent customers.

B. For restaurants, utilizing direct-mail marketing requires the names, addresses, and menu selections of at least some customers.

C. For restaurants, the identification of regular, average, and infrequent customers generally involves recording the names, addresses, and menu selections of at least some customers.

D. Utilizing direct-mail marketing is rarely beneficial for restaurants that cannot identify regular, average, and infrequent customers.

E. Restaurants that routinely record names, addresses, and menu selections of their customers always utilize direct-mail marketing more effectively than do any other restaurants.

I would say it's A. The conclusion is saying that the ability to identify regular, average, and infrequent customers is the reason that restaurants effectively use direct-mail marketing. It doesn't really matter how you arrive at aggregating that data; so the first sentence seems like a red herring to me meant to throw you. If other types of restaurants could identify their customers it stands to reason that they could market to them as well, so I believe A.

As always, I could be wrong.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 01:50:01 PM »
I would say D is correct.  It is the only assumed choice that seems to lead to an inference that the conclusion works in this scenario.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 01:50:46 PM »
I think its C

Cory

• Greatest. Game. EVER.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 01:52:22 PM »
I would say D is correct.  It is the only assumed choice that seems to lead to an inference that the conclusion works in this scenario.

D is tricky, but I think "beneficial" goes outside the scope. Sure, marketing should be beneficial, but we're just talking about how well you can market...marketing means you have to be able to identify your customer base.

What is the real answer?

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 01:52:59 PM »
i pick E.

Cory

• Greatest. Game. EVER.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »
i pick E.

Why do you have to identify those habits to market effectively?

I'm probably wrong because from what I've read on these types of threads you're usually right cas :) I just don't see why E is required.

Edit: Nevermind, I see it, I kind of skimmed over addresses when reading it. The "only" thing probably makes it right then.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 02:00:23 PM »
you are assuming too much i think.  dont assume that you cant successfully use direct-mail without organizing customers. 

the point i saw was that pizzerias are the only ones to record names, therefore they use direct mail more effectively.  so the assumption i think is required is that if you record names, you are always more efficient than those that dont.

if you wanted to diagram, itd be something like this:

record --> pizzeria

therefore,

pizzeria ---> effective

how do you connect those two?  with the statement: record ---> effective

Cory

• Greatest. Game. EVER.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 02:03:09 PM »
you are assuming too much i think.  dont assume that you cant successfully use direct-mail without organizing customers. 

the point i saw was that pizzerias are the only ones to record names, therefore they use direct mail more effectively.  so the assumption i think is required is that if you record names, you are always more efficient than those that dont.

Yeah I edited it right after posting it and re-reading it. I kind of skipped over the addresses part, now I agree with you.

AaronJ

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 02:09:16 PM »
E.

The new variable test I described on a different thread makes this easy to sort out.

If pizza places are the only places to do the stated things routinely and if the conlcusion is that they direct-mail more effectively based on that; it needs to be the case that resteraunts who routinely record names, etc. are always better at direct-mailing then everybody else.  Otherwise you leave room for others who dont do the same unique things as pizza places to be as effective or more effective.

Notice how E is the only answer that employs the new "more effectively" variable.

I shouldnt be giving away my secrects. :-X