Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Law School?  (Read 2945 times)

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NY Law School?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 11:30:04 PM »
nyls dorms are in bklyn heights and are 1400 bucks a month 25 minute commute to campus, only 65 spots though i believe so its hard to get...ive been looking to move into soho/tribeca and studios start at 1600 (WITH doorman and amenities)...you can find some for 1500 though so its all good

try looking for a roommate as well

http://newyork.craigslist.com

Prince Rondavel

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 02:07:25 PM »
There's also Williamsburg, which is in Brooklyn north of Brooklyn Heights and the Navy Yard.  Lots of young people seem to be moving there.  It would take a train transfer so a little bit longer to get into NYLS, but the L train goes straight over to Cardozo...

There's other neighborhoods as well, like Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill which aren't Brooklyn Heights but still really nice.

And there's Hoboken, NJ.  It's right across the river.  If you can find a place near the PATH train station then it might even be quicker, and perhaps cheaper, than living in Brooklyn. 

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 03:14:44 PM »
ah, williamsburg. home of the trustafarian.

it does have a thriving artistic community, even if it's all paid for by their parents...

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 04:39:28 PM »
For the person going to Cardozo, I'm assuming that Brooklyn was also an option.  Regarding your concerns about 1L summer, Brooklyn has in the past had a ton of work study money making it possible for almost every 1L to get paid over the summer if they work in public interest.  They have a bunch of clinics over the summer and once you've been hired, you convert it over to work study (and everybody qualifies for work study).  I know a bunch of people at Brooklyn and everyone get work study money during 1L summer.  Just something to consider. 

And $1400 for subsidized dorm in Brooklyn Heights is ridiculous!  Brooklyn's dorms (really apartments) are about $900 a month.  $1400 is market but the dorm should be subsidized by the school. 

BTW, you'll need to be ranked much higher than top 15% to get $125K from NYLS.  Top 15% at Brooklyn isn't even a guarantee for BIGLAW and NYLS is much lower down the food chain.  I'd guess you'd need to be top 5% with a law review and a decent personality and a good undergrad. 

scolomon

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 05:04:26 PM »
well i called nylaw career services and they said 15%....I don't know where you get that info about brook law either, With hofstra I found it is 15% too, I even spoke to some firms...I find it harder to believe hofstra has better placement than brooklyn...Your statistics are suspect

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »
You cannot believe any employment figures quoted by the law school themselves.  Those figures are so misleading.  God only knows where they get the data.  I'm a 3L and amongst us it's a big joke.  The salary figures are self-reported and they ask you what you think you'd be making if you had a job, not what you're making. 

My information about Brooklyn comes from very close friends at Brooklyn. 

I doubt very seriously that top 15% at Hofstra is good enough for BIGLAW (maybe good enough for pretend BIGLAW which pays less).  Firms won't tell you the truth either.  They'll give you the official cut-off for OCI but that doesn't equate to hiring. 

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2004, 07:08:58 PM »
Heh, strange enough, no Brooklyn hasn't been an option.  They just keep sending me information about financial aid and what not, and they make sure to include a disclaimer, "This is not an acceptance letter" or some other crud.

Got into better schools really early on -- wish I had known about Brooklyn's summer work-study thingie earlier, not that it makes a difference without a decision though. :)

scolomon

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 10:59:35 AM »

Looks like we got a conspiracy theorist here

I doubt very seriously that top 15% at Hofstra is good enough for BIGLAW (maybe good enough for pretend BIGLAW which pays less).  Firms won't tell you the truth either.  They'll give you the official cut-off for OCI but that doesn't equate to hiring. 

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 03:42:54 PM »
I'm not a conspiracy theorist.  Just a 3L who knows how full of crap employment figures are. 

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 03:47:18 PM »
my next door neighbor was in the top 5% at touro (tier 4) and he is doing REAL well for himself lol

so not everything is misleading