Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Law School?  (Read 2920 times)

scolomon

Re: NY Law School?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2004, 04:28:04 PM »
amen sista

Yellow Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 07:48:43 PM »
Just a point about the employment figures, when a school says they have 98% employment, etc. I'm not sure that means that all of their grads are working in the legal field. I think it just means they have "a job".

Also, a way to get a feel for who is getting hired in biglaw is to go to www.martindale.com and search using the firms name and law school. If you're obsessive like me you might even make a spreadsheet that denotes what year the student graduated. There was an obvious drop-off in hiring in 2003.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 09:21:42 AM »
haha ocd ocd! don't give me ideas !!!  ;D ;D ;D

subwayrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 04:06:59 PM »
The question you should ask yourself is: Why do I want to live in NYC or the surrounding areas?  If it is only for money you will be better off living where you want to live and visiting NYC.  Tourist enjoy the city much more than residents.  They usually live in cities or towns where the cost of living is much cheaper and they can actually save for a nice vacation in the city.  Also you should do research, just read some NY Times articles on how hard it is for professionals to live here on those $100,000+ salaries.

Yes it is true about the employment statistics.  There are lawyers working as paralegals.  If you are one of the fortunate it is very hard to live well and pay back loans.  You cannot compare it to what it would be like to cut back your living expenses in another town.