Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Law School?  (Read 2876 times)

JD07

• View Profile
NY Law School?
« on: April 01, 2004, 07:47:39 PM »
I have been accepted to NYLS and have sent the first deposit. At this time it seems like my most viable option. However, I don't know how well the school fairs in NY. Granted, there are many better law schools in NY, but what are NYLS'employment statistics? Do law firms recruit there? Please post if you are attending, or have any relevant info. about NYLS.

Thanks

scolomon

Re: NY Law School?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 07:49:28 PM »
if you want 125,000 a year coming out of school you need to be in the top 15% of your class
You do well you'll be fine

JD07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 07:56:18 PM »
I am an out of state student, so what do you think the housing situation will be like? Do you know if the school subsidizes housing for its students? If so, what part of the city?

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 07:57:20 PM »
they have like a 94% placement rate w/i a year of grad and 98 w/i 2 years...they told me this at their open house

i really liked it, its very relaxed, not as strict and a nice atmosphere

i'm most likely going there...IM me if you wanna chat! "woahitslizzy"

JD07

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 08:00:17 PM »
Do you know what kind of living options are avail. for NYLS students? I am not particualarly interested in the dormitory,however, apts. in Ny can be very $$. What are your plans, if you attend?
(P.S I was not able to attend the open house; I am in Orange County, CA; sorry if my questions are reiterating info. provided at orientation)

scolomon

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 02:13:08 PM »
NY law has housing in brooklyn heights. If it fills up they have people that go out looking for places for you to live
And if that fails you can always live in the dumpster behind Bubba Gump Shrimp in times square

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 05:29:17 PM »
Brooklyn Heights housing is usually in what range?  $1000-1500 a month?

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 06:55:23 PM »
that appears to be the range for studios right now. the market's come down, it used to be hard to find anything there for under about $1300.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 07:01:06 PM »
that appears to be the range for studios right now. the market's come down, it used to be hard to find anything there for under about $1300.

heh, for this first year of law school, I'll splurge a little to live in the Cardozo dorm but I definitely need a much cheaper place, especially in the 1L summer when you get paid next to nothing and loans aren't available until the academic year starts.  Please someone tell me there are decent places (I don't care about size, just cleanliness) under $800 that are within commutable distance to Greenwich Village. ;)

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »
It depends on what you consider commutable distance, I suppose...

I live in Astoria, Queens, at the Broadway stop on the N/W line. It takes about a half an hour to get to Cardozo directly (including walking). If I transfer to the 4/5 at 59th/Lex, it cuts off between 5 and 10 minutes. In this area, you could probably find a garden level studio (basically basement, with window at ground level) for around that price. If you go into less gentrified areas of queens, you'd definitely be able to do it, though the commute would be longer. I'm sure the same is true for Brooklyn, though I don't know areas outside of Park Slope and the Heights well. The nice thing about Union Square is that there are a lot of trains stopping there so it's easy access.