Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are lawyers, with their JD, really doctors?  (Read 4075 times)

dta

Re: are lawyers, with their JD, really doctors?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 05:53:56 PM »
hey JG, just curious. What's your PhD in?

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 06:47:55 PM »
It's in genetics.  I know, it's odd that I'm going to law school with my background.  If I do biotech patent law, it will make sense, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

CaliforniaLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 06:59:13 PM »
Hey JG,

I am a molecular biologist who use to be with a large biotech doing pathway research.  Now I am going for my JD with an interest in IP law, not necessarily in biotech.  Public International Law & Corporate Law are also areas I want to explore.

Any idea where you'll be going?  I am sent in a deposit to Santa Clara University.

Good luck.

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 07:14:47 PM »
Hi CaliforniaLaw,

It's always good to hear about other biologists making the jump into law!  I don't know about you, but I'm very happy about the fact that I'm never going to run a gel or do a miniprep again for the rest of my life.   I'm going to Wash U.--a full scholarship, family in St. Louis, and a desire to move back to the midwest made it an easy choice.

I'm going to keep an open mind about my options in law school and not just go into IP because it's the obvious thing.  I wasn't crazy about being a scientist, and if I'm going into a second career, I'm going to make sure I like it.

Good luck at Santa Clara!

stillwaiting

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 07:56:18 PM »
I feel like not many people realize there are advanced degrees beyond the JD--or maybe its just me ! But seriously I dont think it is a degree that many people are familiar with. How long does it generally take to complete a JSD?

50 Lifter

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 12:32:38 AM »
To answer your question stillwaiting, the JSD takes about the same amount of time as the PhD in most cases.  The coursework may take only one - two years, but the candidate may take many more years to complete the dissertaion.  I would guess that most finish in 4 to 6 years total.  Very few schools offer the degree and those that do are highly selective, normally only accepting those who hold an LLM form the same intstituion to which they are applying.  It's true that very few people actually pursue the degree as it isn't really necessary for any particualr employment, academic or otherwise. 

The other more common post-JD is the LLM, which you may already know about.  This degree can be obtained if you wich to do study and research into a particual area of the law, and can improve a lawyers viability as a potential law educator.  It can also help to oercome the stigma of a JD from a "low ranked" school.  You will notice that many law professors may have JD's from sub top 20 schools, but have an LLM from a top 20.  It can also be helpful if you want to make yourself more desirable to employers in a particular field of law.

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 11:18:29 PM »
I think I'll have 10,000 business cards printed up that read:

Dr. John Doe, J.D.

(I'm not serious!)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 03:06:05 PM »
I think I'll have 10,000 business cards printed up that read:

Dr. John Doe, J.D.

(I'm not serious!)

After school is done, I might go along that route except mine will say "Works cheap - lots of loans" and be on a cardboard sign while I am sitting at a busy intersection!