Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are lawyers, with their JD, really doctors?  (Read 3978 times)

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
are lawyers, with their JD, really doctors?
« on: April 01, 2004, 05:27:57 PM »
OK, if someone could answer this for me...
By earning your JD, Doctor of Jurisprudence,
are you technically a doctor, in much the same way as
a PhD-holder is a doctor?  And if so, has anyone ever known any attorneys who went by this, even though
it would be ostentatious?

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: are lawyers, with their JD, really doctors?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 06:22:34 PM »
Who'd want to be a Dr. when they can be an Esquire. :)

Actually, it'd be cool to be considered a doctor as well as a half-knight, though I'm not sure if it actually works that way.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 10:07:13 PM »
It's still makes me smile, some 2 years later, to see mail coming for my husband with Dr. in front of it...

Karen W.

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 10:49:25 PM »
This is a great question! I wish I could help, but I don't know any lawyers, sorry. I'll be watching tho! I bet some lawyer will say a doctorate is a doctorate, so lawyers are really doctors!

dta

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 10:56:27 PM »
Even though I plan to get a JD, I certainly hope JD != PHD. So much more field expertise and hard, original research is required to obtain a PHD.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 11:21:13 PM »
Even though I plan to get a JD, I certainly hope JD != PHD. So much more field expertise and hard, original research is required to obtain a PHD.

Despite the fact that I plan to get a JD, I certainly hope JD = PHD.  So much more brainless and unfulfilling citation checking if you make Law Review. :)

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 10:14:11 AM »
A JD is a doctoral degree although many -- especially those who do not have a JD -- think of it as not quite legitimate.  It is my understanding that law degrees were originally bachelor's degrees; that may be why they are questioned by some.  That and the fact that the more advanced law degree is called a masters.
But as someone said a doctorate is a doctorate.

And you can use the title doctor if you have a JD.

But think about it.  Do you want someone rushing up to you to ask if you're a real doctor when someone needs medical help?  Hmmm.  That could be a good thing.  You wouldn't be an ambulance chaser, you'd be an ambulance chasee!   :D

50 Lifter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 11:09:34 AM »
The equivalent of the PhD for lawyers is the JSD, or Juridicial Science Degree.  It is a post-graduate degree that requires graduate coursework and the completion of a dissertation.  Lawyers who attain this degree are thought of as "Doctors".

dta

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 05:34:30 PM »
now *that* sounds legit. if you don't have to defend a doctoral dissertation to get your degree, your degree is not *really* a PhD equivalent degree. For a JD all you have to do is write a paper one semester. Big whoop. I mean - I'm sure it will be a challenge but it's not nearly on par with everything that goes into and leads up to a doctoral dissertation defense.

Thanks for the info though lifter. It's nice to see there is an equivalent in law.

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 05:41:27 PM »

Since I have a Ph.D. (after six years!) and plan to get a JD, I also certainly hope JD != PHD as well.

As for the "calling yourself doctor" thing, I don't do it even with a Ph.D. except in purely academic situations.  I'd certainly never do it with a JD.   I've found it's better to have people find out (in some other way) that I have a Ph.D. and be impressed than for them to hear me call myself "Dr.", assume I have an MD, and then find out I don't.