Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best law schools in texas  (Read 10219 times)

yoni

best law schools in texas
« on: April 03, 2003, 01:04:29 PM »
Could someone please give me a run down of the best law schools in Texas?  I'm probably going to stay in state for financial reasons and I was curious about this question.
Thanks.

mjohnson6565

• View Profile
Re: best law schools in texas
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 07:02:58 AM »
UT , SMU, UH, BAY

Mess with the bull sometimes you get the Horns

bigwig

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 07:26:56 AM »
Is this list in order?

Considering the significantly lower tuition fees at UHLC (assuming you're paying in full), what reasons would one have to attend SMU or Baylor instead of UH?  Employment stats are also not significantly better at SMU and Baylor.  

mjohnson6565

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 08:02:50 AM »
Yes in that order, looking at my list I have UH listed ahead of Baylor.  Baylor is a very good litigation school but other than that... SMU has a very good emplyment rate, and  a very high 1st year salary rate. I have known people (current lawyers) who have gone to both schools, graduated from one but did visiting semesters at the other. Houston is more laid back , and they felt that that UH act. prepared them better. However during the interviewing process it seemed tha SMU was more respected. SMU also has more BIGLAW on campus interviews than UH. SMU is more comp. SMU seems to have more cloat overall in TX than does Houston but it's close. Houston does have an advatage in tution costs. Houson it a great school however I gave SMU a slight overall edge due to stats and real world exp. It all depends on what you are looking for...
Mess with the bull sometimes you get the Horns

TexasStar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 05:36:08 AM »
Law.com has an article in which the top Texas law firms ranked the law schools. When it is all said and done, it comes down to getting the job you want and having the salary to pay off debt. From what I have researched: UT, SMU, Baylor, UH are the top four. SMU-business, UH-healthcare law, Baylor-litigation, UT-Tier One (rank 12-15 depending on the list). I hope this helps.

nicole byrd

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 08:44:18 AM »
Is this list in order?

Considering the significantly lower tuition fees at UHLC (assuming you're paying in full), what reasons would one have to attend SMU or Baylor instead of UH?  Employment stats are also not significantly better at SMU and Baylor.  

;D

nicole byrd

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 08:44:48 AM »
Is this list in order?

;D

TexasStar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 01:19:23 PM »
All those interested in what employers think instead of law students/pre-law students. Please check out this useful article.
http://www.law.com/jsp/statearchive.jsp?type=Article&oldid=ZZZTDR592XC

nicole byrd

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 07:44:53 AM »
I would like to know if there are any openings in the fall of 05' I would like to become an lawyer in the near furture and i wanted to know are there any classes to take before hand so that i could get a head start on things. ;)

;D

lawdog6565

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 06:50:48 AM »
Funny that Texas Wes. wasn't mentioned