Law School Discussion

hey Cheeks

hey Cheeks
« on: October 26, 2004, 01:16:21 PM »
I understand that your PS has nothing to do with why you want to go to such and such law school, etc.  I wrote one of those 'overcoming hardship' thingy PSs, but I have no idea how to end it (no conclusion that's any good).  Any pointers?

Cheeks

• View Profile
Re: hey Cheeks
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 01:52:48 PM »
yeah ... my PS was basically about my skating, and how I balanced training with school.  Anyways, so tie it in at the end, I wrote about why I felt my experiences would make a good lawyer, and a good law student. 

I think that if you PS is about 'overcoming hardship,' then you can use that to show that you excel in law school, or are determined enough to succeed, or something along those lines...use it to say why they should admit you.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 08:56:32 PM »
Well, it's done, I talk about my aspirations for maybe 100 or so words but I think it's a perfect tie-in.  Back to Osgoode's essays because I think my new idea puts my old PSs to shame.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 09:39:30 PM »
I think that if you PS is about 'overcoming hardship,' then you can use that to show that you excel in law school, or are determined enough to succeed, or something along those lines...use it to say why they should admit you.

I completely agree with Cheeks on this one. I think even if you are taking the anecdote approach and really personalizing it, you have to make that logical connection to your potential as a law student. It can be very powerful if this effortlessly comes through your story. If you are letting the story speak for itself though, I would be very careful to make sure that those links are conspicuous and most importantly, related directly to the topic of law

btw, I just sent you a PM Caecilius

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 11:40:49 PM »
thanks Kate I PMd you too :)

I changed my PS quite a bit to reflect on exactly the comments you made.  The story is still there, but it's shortened down and I get to the point as to why instead of sounding like an uncertain fence sitter.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 11:46:27 PM »
I never mentioned lschool in mine either---i wrote about about a unique family situation and how it has made me much more mature and responsible than your typical 20 year old

lookwhois

• 3.63 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 12:50:10 AM »
OLSAS deadline is quickly approaching, btw I hope you guys heard about Western's (need 2 academic LORs)
 :'(

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 12:57:00 AM »
OLSAS deadline is quickly approaching, btw I hope you guys heard about Western's (need 2 academic LORs)
 :'(

yeah, I'm done at this very hour, thank the gods.  I did two LORs anyways, I feel sorry for the people that had to go through the hassle.

lookwhois

• 3.63 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 01:03:45 AM »
well i submitted 2 lor's, 1 aca and 1 non0aca, if western doesn't like it TOO BAD for them, they never sent a notice out

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 01:06:41 AM »
well i submitted 2 lor's, 1 aca and 1 non0aca, if western doesn't like it TOO BAD for them, they never sent a notice out

yes, that was kind of last minute wasn't it?