Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any NY 1Ls up in this piece?  (Read 1759 times)

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any NY 1Ls up in this piece?
« on: April 01, 2004, 12:55:37 PM »

Lots of posters but I'm not feelin the love from anyone else from the Empire State!?  Id love to hear from some other New Yorkers or anyone who will be attending LS in the greatest state in the US....

holla-atch-boy
        C.
   Albany Law Class of '07

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any NY 1Ls up in this piece?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 01:05:24 PM »

Lots of posters but I'm not feelin the love from anyone else from the Empire State!?  Id love to hear from some other New Yorkers or anyone who will be attending LS in the greatest state in the US....

holla-atch-boy
        C.
   Albany Law Class of '07

Most likely Cardozo Law Class of '07 over here. :)

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 01:21:54 PM »
Almost certainly Cardozo here as well. The Brooklyn deadline passes today, and they aren't getting a penny from me...

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 03:48:11 PM »
Yeah, I was a little worried about the alumni network, but then again, how many people who have JDs from before 76 are still working?  Okay, maybe there are alot, LOL.

One other thing I don't like about Cardozo is their top 15% cut-off for cum laude.  Of course, Fordham's is at top 8% so I guess it's okay.  By comparison, it seems most schools are at top 30 or 33%.  And the only reason I want cum laude on my resume is because I should have got one at my undergrad institution and am trying to make up for it. :)

Things that attracted me to Cardozo: excellent location, excellent faculty (reputedly), excellent clinical opportunities, reputation for IP, high student satisfaction (again, reputedly), level of accomplishment for a relatively new school, good job placement in the New York area, and most of all, the one thing that got me to consider applying to them in the first place, a good admissions presentation IMO -- the only school I liked better from their presentation at my school was USC, but no way I'm getting into there.

I'm starting this May so I'm just preparing to make the move to NYC now. ;)

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:47:07 PM »
I was looking almost exclusively at top and second tier schools in the Boston/NYC/Philly/DC I95 cooridor, since I will be living around there in the future.

I really liked Cardozo from the start, since it has an excellent student body (numbers that compare favorably with many top tier schools), a great faculty, and seemingly limitless opportunities for clinical work, including the Intensive Trial Advocacy Program and the Innocence Project. I also like the location (I live in Queens now), the easy commute, and the renovations that have made it decent (not great, but good enough) inside. They place many grads into BIGLaw at market rate and others into a wide variety of areas, and have a superb bar pass rate (beat Fordham this year for the first time). I'm not sure what I want to do with law, but I have interests that range from music (I'm a part-time musician, and need to leave for a gig now..) and sports to computers to social justice and law enforcement. Cardozo seems like a good place for someone who isn't set on one path, but wants access to just about anything and everything.

I work full time right now, and probably will through the end of July. Every month I work, I can put more money in the bank to live a little better over the next year or so. That's the only thing stopping me from starting in May. Much as I'd like the heck outta my job now, the extra three months of work is a good chunk of money...

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 05:04:39 PM »
looks like SJU for me, unless by some minor miracle i get admitted to GW.

My reasons were 'Dozo didn't give me any $ and Brooklyn didn't give me enough.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 06:31:21 PM »
looks like SJU for me, unless by some minor miracle i get admitted to GW.

My reasons were 'Dozo didn't give me any $ and Brooklyn didn't give me enough.

Wow, then I guess I should be happy that they didn't TAKE money from me, given that your credentials seem to be > mine, LOL. :)

Phillip79

• ICQ Messenger - 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhillipBach79
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Phillip_Bach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 12:52:27 PM »
I'm most likely going to Fordham this fall. 

I live in Albany, and I've been to the law school once when I took the LSAT.  What do you think of it there?

Phillip79

• ICQ Messenger - 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhillipBach79
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Phillip_Bach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 12:56:20 PM »

I've heard lots of wonderful things about Cardozo... to tell you the truth the only negative thing i have heard is that they have a relatively small Alumni base, having been established in the late 70's....

C.

Yeah, I agree that Cardozo is superior to Brooklyn.  I would predict that Cardozo will be a low-end 1st Tier within 5-10 years.  The 2005 U.S. News are just one indication that Cardozo is improving, and Brooklyn is slipping.  I'd personally rather live near Greenwich Village than in Brooklyn, if you can afford the rent. 

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 01:37:48 PM »
Cardozo will be top tier next year, almost assuredly. Their bar pass rate soared between '02 (82%) and '03 (88%), the 9 month employment rate went up (96.7 to 98.05) and their acceptance rate will be lower this year (they had a higher than expected yield rate last year, so they're being more selective this year to avoid having too many students in the first year class again, even after seeing a net increase in the number of applications; I do know one person who has already been taken off the wait list, and I think they're looking for more who can start in May instead of September). Those alone should be enough to give them a couple points in the USNews formula, as arbitrary as it is.

Considering that Cardozo was one point from the USSnooze top tier this year, and (according to Rob Schwartz) they've now moved up 33 slots since he arrived in 1996, it's basically a guarantee that they'll keep going up for the forseeable future, especially with the new physical renovations complete. They're clearly picking off a lot of the top students that Brooklyn and even Fordham would have had a few years ago, like me.   ;D