Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW vs GMU  (Read 2241 times)

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
GW vs GMU
« on: April 01, 2004, 12:02:52 PM »
Considering my 3 year cost btwn the tow schools would be about 60k more at GW is it really worth it to attend the school that is ranked higher in the tier 1?  I am interested in IP law.  Both have strong programs but GW has the first program of that kind so it has probably a more national reputation in this area.

Any thougths would really really really help. ???

idlegrasshopper

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GW vs GMU
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 12:40:04 PM »
If you really want to work in IP, go to GW.  They are the best in IP, their name travels better, and it will be much easier to get on of them high-paying jobs and the NY IP law firms.

Also, notify GMU of your choice post haste, so that they can offer your spot to me and take me off the waitlist.

Thank you.

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 02:28:37 PM »
 ;)

well i will notify them as soon as i make a decision, which i certainly haven't yet.  does the fact that the name travels better really warrant the huge sticker difference though?

what other schools are you considering

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 02:37:56 PM »
;)

well i will notify them as soon as i make a decision, which i certainly haven't yet.  does the fact that the name travels better really warrant the huge sticker difference though?

what other schools are you considering

Yes. LOL.  Unfortunately reputation means everything.  Of course, there are good types of rep, like if a school is reputed in the working place to produce top-notch workers, etc.

idlegrasshopper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 03:09:12 PM »
I am only considering the 5 accredited part time schools in DC/NoVA.  GMU is my first choice, because I don't plan on leaving the area soon (if ever), and while GW and GULC are higher ranked, in my case I don't think they're worth $60,000 more.  Not that I've been accepted at any of the Georges yet - I've only heard back from GMU, and I'm on their waitlist.  I have been accepted at American and Catholic.

Among the four schools that aren't GMU (and would therefore cost ~$100k), if accepted at any/all but not at GMU, I would chose in order of the USNEWS rankings.

YOU have to decide if the name (and cost) of GW is important to you.  Where do you want to work when you graduate?  How hard do you want to work?  Do you want a new car when you graduate?  You could graduate from GMU, buy a new BMW, and still have less debt than if you went to GW.  The GW name will help get you into the BIGLAW ratrace, where you will have the opportunity to work long hours for a huge salary, most of which will go to pay off your student loans.  The debt load from GMU will allow you more freedom in choosing jobs - you could work for the government at a lower salary because you won't have mondo gigantic student loan payments to make.

For me, dropping 18 ranking spots (assuming the leaked 2005 rankings are correct) to save $60,000 is a no-brainer.  Now if I could only get more people to decline GMU's offer so they can send me one....

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 10:31:42 PM »
I'd say GW is probably worth the extra money.  I'm currently in the job market myself (I'm a soon to graduate 3L at a top 20 school with average grades) and I've found that where you go to school is so important.  It doesn't just matter to BIGLAW but to MIDLAW and respectable small-law as well. 

With that said, however, a top of the class grad on law review from GMU will do better than a middle of the class grad with no journal from GW.  But odds are going to either school that you will be a middle of the class grad with no journal and it's better to be in the middle at GW than GMU.  Not only will it be better for your first job but it will be better for your whole career because where your first job sets the stage for your whole career.  A middle of the class GW grad will have a good chance at landing at a respectable firm.  He/she probably won't make the big bucks but he/she will likely end up at a firm that everyone in the legal community looks on favorably.  So he/she can use that firm as a stepping stone for better things.  Plus the more respectable firm is going to do better work thereby giving better experience. 

And another very important thing is that GW has more alums than GMU and I cannot stress enough how important networking is.  People who don't find work through OCI (likely if you go to either school) end up finding jobs through networking. 

rcjackson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 12:22:42 AM »
GMU's chairs are really uncomfortable and the floor in many of the classrooms doesn't slope enough to see over the person in front of you.  You could decide on worse criteria :)

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 12:24:33 AM »
GMU's chairs are really uncomfortable and the floor in many of the classrooms doesn't slope enough to see over the person in front of you.  You could decide on worse criteria :)

That is a completely valid complaint.  I hear you, man(/woman). :)

Danny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 01:51:11 PM »
GMU IP's program is very well-regarded, at least in the DC area.  I went to a cocktail party recently where I met a Georgetown grad who does IP.  He told me he regrets not going to Mason, because so many attorneys at his firm (Finnegan) went there and they have so much less debt than he does.  If you want to do IP and stay in the DC area, go to Mason. If you have your heart set on being at a top NYC law firm outside IP, go to GW.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 06:07:43 PM »
GMU IP's program is very well-regarded, at least in the DC area.  I went to a cocktail party recently where I met a Georgetown grad who does IP.  He told me he regrets not going to Mason, because so many attorneys at his firm (Finnegan) went there and they have so much less debt than he does.  If you want to do IP and stay in the DC area, go to Mason. If you have your heart set on being at a top NYC law firm outside IP, go to GW.

I would have to ask that GW grad how his resume is compared to those from GMU.  They could very well have been all in the very top of their class.  Besides, different circumstances bring different results -- it would be pretty funny if he was granted his wish (ala The Family Man/Guy, whateevr the movie is called with Nicholas Cage) and he *didn't* get into IP firm from GMU.