Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Application Fee Waivers  (Read 3759 times)

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
Re: Application Fee Waivers
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2004, 01:30:21 AM »
Yo, if the law schools think you're so below their standards, you could conceivably ask them to waive the application fee. Seriously, if they think you suck so bad, they just might put you through the process for free. No joke..

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2004, 09:13:19 AM »
Just about every law school will insist that pay the application fee unless your economic circumstances are absolutely horrible. If you have a roof over your head, you really don't have much chance of getting the fee waived. It appears that the schools assume that if you can put together a typed or printed application, then you have the ability to pay a $60 application fee- even if your numbers are markedly inadequate.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2004, 09:26:31 AM »
Just about every law school will insist that pay the application fee unless your economic circumstances are absolutely horrible. If you have a roof over your head, you really don't have much chance of getting the fee waived. It appears that the schools assume that if you can put together a typed or printed application, then you have the ability to pay a $60 application fee.

That is not entirely true.  I have called up a school that I did not receive a fee waiver from (but others on this board did) and said, "Some of my friends with similar numbers to myself have received fee waivers but I did not.  Can I ask what your requirements are?"  The woman asked for my name and came back a few minutes later and told me that I could attach a note to my application saying that a fee waiver had been granted.  Some other people on this board have done the same thing with similar responses.  They have called up schools who they know are granting fee waivers, told them their stats and received fee waivers.  I'm not saying this will work if you got like a 145 on the LSAT or have like a 2.1 GPA, but if your stats are competitive with the school, I think it is at least worth a shot.
Attending: Texas

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 12:23:44 AM »
I'm confused. Are wavers given for high scores, low scores, or both? I can understand a waver for high scores ... but low scores? It'll seem that if a school thinks you have no chance of getting accepted, they will not want to "waste" time considering your application. And if they have to, they'll expect you to pay-up for the “wasted” time. No?
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

MoonTuna

• 167/3.75
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 12:30:38 AM »
It makes their stats look better if they have more applicants and a lower percentage of people accepted.  I don't know how many schools actually do this, but it makes statistical sense.
Attending UCLA in the fall.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 09:49:46 AM »
Ahhh... I see. The entire process is quite interesting. It seems to be more about creating/fudging statistics on the part of students AND the schools than anything else. Oh well..
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve