Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Older Applicants (over 40) October LSAT 2005 start  (Read 4321 times)

olderlawguy

• View Profile
Older Applicants (over 40) October LSAT 2005 start
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »
Hey -- anyone over 40 take the October lsat? I took for the first time. Blew up one LR section. I'm hoping that "life experience" really helps here. Any thoughts from anyone already in school that's over 40?

blink

Re: Older Applicants (over 40) October LSAT 2005 start
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:26:15 AM »
I'm over 45 and applying.  Did you mean October 2004? I have a friend who got into law school with a 156 and good work experience.  I don't know what her GPA was.  I think 148 is a problem.  You should study and retake. Aim for a 156 at least with a good GPA and good work experience.  Don't be discouraged ; you can slay LSAT.

KittenWithStix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 05:25:11 PM »
I'm 43...took Oct LSAT...bomb 153...But I'm giving it my best shot and will retake next year if it doesn't work.  Am only applying PT as I already have a great career and need to keep my current job.
DING! Ok, Peruna, back to the barn....

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 04:53:30 PM »
Hey, just wanted to say that I'm glad you don't include me in the "old" category. LOL. I'm 38. Got a 157 the first time due to mis-bubbling. Damn. Retaking in Dec. I think life experience counts for a lot, but if you want to go to a good law xchool, you're gonna have to retake. 148 won't cut it. HTH.
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

lexylitstinks

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 06:12:59 PM »
Over 40???!!! OMG, Let me shoot myself now!! It's tooo LATE for you people!!!  Don't you get it????!!!!

KittenWithStix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 01:36:09 AM »
I say go for it.  There is absolutely nothing to lose and who knows what might happen? 

blink

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »
Actually I have TWO friends who just completed law school when they were 50 yrs old.  And both got top jobs with law firms.  This may come as a surprise to Gen Xers who want those spaces but get used to it.  Over 40's have lots to offer like equivalent intelligence and greater work and life experience, mandatory retirement is probably going to disappear in the next 10 years, and possibly the world out there is not that fascinated with the opinions of 25-30 yr olds.  And furthermore, variety is the spice of law school.

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 04:44:21 PM »
i say go for it.  apply to the schools u want and if u get in great.  if not really prepare and take the LSAT again.

as far as people saying your too old, screw that.  while in grad school i was sometime sthe youngest person in my class, but b/c of all the real world experience i learned a lot.  its good to have people with experience in classes.

KittenWithStix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 05:12:58 PM »
I recently sat in on a 1L Criminal Law class and I was surprised at the number of students playing solitare on their laptops.  I asked the 3L who gave me the tour about it and she said "Well you know, these classes are pretty boring."  I laughed and thought to myself that some of these people are in for a rude awakening when they get out in the real world....I was also surprised at the number of them who could not speak in front of the class when called upon by the professor.

My hat is off to them that they were bright enough to get into LS in the first place.  And, I'm sure I will be able to learn something from them.  But atleast I know that I won't have to be taught how to speak in public and I damn sure won't be playing on the computer during class!

captmiseee

• AOL Instant Messenger - captmiseee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 05:56:32 PM »
Hello I'm actually almost 38 and am an undergrad at UVa. I had three kids and am now a grandmother thats why it took me so long to go to college. I only got a 150 on my LSAT... found out the night before that my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer... registered to retake it in Oct and my mom died on test day... so I just wrote an LSAT addendum... one of the deans here wrote me a letter of recommendation and he told me not to worry about the LSAT at my age... he feels that it does not matter as much becaue of life experiences in addition to the fact that older students just don't do as well on this test. I also know of a student who got a 141 last year and was accepted to a law school, remember we can always transfer after the first year.