Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Older Applicants (over 40) October LSAT 2005 start  (Read 4318 times)

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Older Applicants (over 40) October LSAT 2005 start
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 12:59:14 PM »
I'll be 40 when I start school next fall. 

I quit my job prior to taking the LSAT because I wanted to really focus on prepartion.  My mind had been corrupted by 15 years in the corporate world where constant interruptions and distractions combined with a 10 cup a day caffeine addiction had created a latent ADD type of problem for me.  I could focus and perform well in short spurts, but I would get killed over the course of a complete LSAT.

I quit the coffee, got in good physical shape, and did over 30 practice tests with the last 20 being striclty administered.  Over the course of 6+ months preparation I improved my performance from low 150s to getting a 166 in October.  Its really quite analogous to an athletes who develop rigorous practice regimens in an attempt to peak on race day, and a wholistic approach is most effective.

Regardless of your age, the LSAT is so large a factor for admissions that it needs to be given appropriate respect, except by the rare geniuses who manage to ace the test cold.  People that smart would probably be very bored in law school  :)

Congrats on such a huge jump in your score - it was obviously well-deserved.  I'm 32 (I guess on this thread I can actually say "I'm ONLY 32," which feels kinda good!) :) and I wish I'd taken the LSAT as seriously.  I only decided to take the LSAT about a month before the Oct.'04 test, and planned to base my decision as to whether or not to apply this year on my score.  I did take a weekend Testmasters class, which I thought was helpful, and I did two timed practice tests, so it's not like I did nothing to prepare, or took it cold...but I should've done more "due diligence" about the entire application process before diving in, as I really had no idea how incredibly important the d*mn score was, until after the test when I found boards like this! 

Luckily I didn't do too badly (164.) I was actually really happy when I first got my score back, thinking that the "91st percentile" had to put me in incredible standing! :) But being on this board over the past month or so and seeing all these people with 170+ has certainly put me in my place.  I can't help but wonder how I might've done with more prep time and by really dedicating myself to studying.  No one to blame but myself, though, for not learning more about the process in the first place. 

I guess my only point here (finally!) is, I do think it's probably easier for those still in college, with access to advisors and peers who are also going through the process.  They just have more info going in - they know what they "need" to score in order to get into the top schools (I had no clue!), and they know how much other people are preparing for the test, etc.  Again - I could've found the same info with a little effort...just didn't get the "big picture" until a little later in the game. :)
Attending: W&M

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 09:32:28 AM »
When I first signed up for the LSAT/LSDAS, they assigned me to my undergrad pre-law advisor.  I resented that- especially since the pre-law advisor I had in the 80s couldn't be bothered to help me out (I didn't want my school to help me other than sending the transcripts, as I remembered her).

Anyhow, I decided to contact the new pre-law advisor.  Wow!  She has her J.D. from N.Y.U., close to my age and a lot of experience.  I owe everything to her if I get into a school.  She spent a lot of time on me (ripping apart my resume, statement and addendums), and I'm thankful I contacted her.

Don't forget to contact your advisor....it might be worth it!

Geez

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 08:17:57 PM »
Nice to hear the pre-law advisor helped. I kind of ignored all that kind of advice when I was applying. Actually, I tended to laugh at it. I haven't been in college for close to 20 years, so I don't really feel all that connected to the place.

Nice to see you got it working for you.

As for the LSAT...I've heard PowerScore is good stuff, but I didn't use it myself.

Now, my main concern is torts...and Ks.

luluhallmark

• GPA 3.8-LSAT:TOO ASHAMED TO POST!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 11:36:09 PM »
Hi Lulu,

Thanks for the kind comments.  You're right, we don't know until we get the scores.  Hopefully, they'll be good!  Unlike before, I didn't get that warm, fuzzy feeling this time on the test (unlike the practice tests).  The answers didn't jump out at me after I eliminated a few wrong responses.  This happened most of the time. 

However, I finished eight applications before the test- only one more to go!  Figuring that only 9% of applicants are 34 and older, (dare I write) we might have a good chance- even with a lousy score.

Good luck to you too!

Geezer

Geezer (ha!)

I hope you're right because I sure do think that all the years of experience I have had working in law firms and TRAINING associates should come into play in admitting me to law school, however, from what I hear, the schools don't even look at anything until they get past your GPA and LSAT.  I felt really good after I took the test but I've felt good before after taking the practice tests and have screwed up but I really think I did well and may have a shot.  Good luck to ya.

Lulu
Applied:  Baylor, SMU, U of Tenn, Hofstra, U of Houston, Duke, Texas Tech, U of Ark-Fayetteville, George Mason, LSU, Washington and Lee, and Case Western
Denied:  None
Accepted:  None

LSAT SCORE:  DO OVER!!!

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004, 01:33:29 PM »
Hi Lulu,

I think they look at the LSAT, G.P.A. and D.O.B (one has to believe).  If one or the other stands out, they take a second look.  However, even the best schools claim to read every personal statement- they *&^*) better if I 'm paying them $30-$75/application...that's how I feel.

I'm sure they're going to look at your full application and see your experience.  If they can't bother to balance exp. v. stats, they might not be the best for you.  Remember, mom and dad aren't paying for this (excuse me if you put yourself through undergrad- I did, to some extent)! Make sure that you get what you want from this education.  Some of the best schools might not be the best place for you, especially if they only look at your G.P.A. and LSAT scores.  I don't want to go to a school that only looks at my stats- I'm worth much more than that!

However, I don't think you'll have a problem either way as you will probably have a good score and already have the relevant experience.

Good luck to you too!

Geez

luluhallmark

• GPA 3.8-LSAT:TOO ASHAMED TO POST!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2004, 11:16:58 AM »
Thanks Geez, and I think you're right.  I'd love to be a big fish in a little pond as opposed to a little fish in a big pond.  If I can score in the top 10% in a 3rd tier, it would be better than scoring dead last in a top school, haha.  Good luck!  Oh yeah, and I put myself through school, I'm pretty headstrong and determined.

Lu
Applied:  Baylor, SMU, U of Tenn, Hofstra, U of Houston, Duke, Texas Tech, U of Ark-Fayetteville, George Mason, LSU, Washington and Lee, and Case Western
Denied:  None
Accepted:  None

LSAT SCORE:  DO OVER!!!

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2004, 12:57:08 PM »
Good luck to you Lulu...

I will be taking a break from this site for the next couple of months- will be back if there's an acceptance letter in hand- and I decide to go...

Hope to see you here with letter(s) yourself.

Bye!

Geez

oldybutgoodie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2004, 06:14:10 PM »
 I'm 49 and plan to take the June 2005 LSAT.....I am considering taking the PowerScore weekend course to boost my score and help with figuring out LSAT. Anyone else taken this course? Did it help?

Runnin'Thangs

• GET UP or MOVE OVER 'cuz I'M COMIN' THRU
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2004, 12:21:41 AM »
Congratulations everyone! 

Soon to be 1L's!
Stay focused and stay positive (and remind me to do the same)!

twarga

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2005, 05:41:28 PM »
I'm 34 and took the LSAT in October.  For 3 months prior, I spent my lunch hours studying two books I bought.  It worked.  On my first prep test I got a 155, but when I took the LSAT, I ended up with a 166.  Commitment to prep, that's the answer.  Age doesn't matter.