Law School Discussion

your opinions on choosing a PS topic

your opinions on choosing a PS topic
« on: October 25, 2004, 08:36:39 PM »
I'm trying to narrow down possible topics for my PS, and I would appreciate any feedback or criticism any of you might have:

1:  The Hard Luck route:  Being raised by a manic depressive single mother. We lost our house due to bankruptcy and what I learned from that.  Or possibly choose one or the other?

2:  Experiences of being the Vice President of a service sorority

3:  Challenges faced by having a different religion.  I'm Pagan, and I was living in a town of 6000 in the Bible Belt.

dr_draino

Re: your opinions on choosing a PS topic
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 08:55:33 PM »
Each would work.  I like the first and last one the best as the middle is REALLY played out.  The final one sounds like it could be done really well and really show a lot about your personality, what makes you unique and seperate you from the crowd.  My main advice would be to write about the topic you feel most strongly about or at least inspires you to write the most about yourself...the goal is to let yourself come through in your PS, show that you're self-aware and understand why you've gotten where you are in life, and probably most importantly, to show that you can write.

jennynam

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 08:59:12 PM »
Good advice, draino. I agree completely!

elisel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 09:21:07 PM »
I like the third one, it's definitely the most unique.

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 09:39:53 PM »
I like topic #1....but I could also see topic #3 as being very interesting and different. 
If you use topic #1, I would recommend refering to your mother's mental illness as Bipolar as it is more formal...I think manic depressive is a slang term.   

ScurvyWench

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 10:28:14 PM »
Unless the experiences from #1 made you want to be a bankruptcy lawyer or a lawyer for indigents, it's a trite topic. So is #2. #3 is very unique and seems like you feel most strongly about it. Go for it!

AaronJ

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 10:51:09 PM »
Unless the experiences from #1 made you want to be a bankruptcy lawyer or a lawyer for indigents, it's a trite topic. So is #2. #3 is very unique and seems like you feel most strongly about it. Go for it!

Trite?  I dont know if I would call it trite.

There is nothing wrong with dealing with adversity in your PS.  You need to do it carefully, however, and avoid getting too deep.  I know my response doesnt give you a whole lot of guidance but all I can really tell you is to be artfull and succinct when discussing your past.

Create an outline or a rough draft and bring it to your prelaw advisor.  They should really know better than any of us.