Law School Discussion

Your thoughts on taking the test 3x

Your thoughts on taking the test 3x
« on: October 25, 2004, 04:12:10 PM »
I'm having a discussion with a friend. She says that taking the test more than twice is a bad idea. I say, if you score higher than 6 points, the schools take the highest score anyway so what difference does it make. And no where on the application does it ask for an explanation of why you took the test more than the "recommended" amount.

What do people think of this? Know anyone who has taken the test 3x? Maybe I'm just not seeing it. ???

Matthew_24_24

• Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Your thoughts on taking the test 3x
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 04:16:37 PM »
6 pts will not make a school take the higher score.  If a score looks at your average, then they will take the average.

So lets say you bomb your first one:  150
And do marginally better on your 2nd: 154
And finally "get" it and score on your 3rd test: 164

Average, 150, 152, 156. 

156 vaults you ALMOST (157) into the median of average american law schools.  152 isn't close.  It really puts you 10 percentiles higher.  If there are 150,000 lsats a year, you just leapfrogged 15,000.

Retake. 

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »
cool. Actually, some schools do have the policy of taking the higher grade if it's above a certain amount of points higher. It depends on the school. They don't advertise it, but if you ask they will tell you.
thanks!

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 04:30:48 PM »
I would agree--go ahead and take it a third time if you're pretty sure that you'll score substantially higher than your other two scores.  However, I would be cautious to take a third time if you know that the third score will be about the same as the second one, only to greater offset the first score--particularly if you want them to only look at the highest score.  In other words, a 154 and a 164 will average out to a 159.  A 154 and two 164s will average out to a 161.  I would assume that some admin officers would not consider the two scenarios that different--perhaps in the latter the student had enough cash to take it a third time whereas in the first she didn't.  However, looking at Matt's example, all the scores are different, and it would probably make more sense to consider the average of the three.