Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lsat 147/GPA 3.44  (Read 19753 times)

esaundu1

• View Profile
lsat 147/GPA 3.44
« on: October 25, 2004, 06:06:47 PM »

Hey guys,

So I got a 147 on my lsat and GPA of 3.44 (3.38 if not converted by the lsac) do you know which one they take? I am debating whether to retake the test in Dec.  I'm not very good at the test, my previous practice tests flip flop from 156 to 146 and all that is in between.

(About me)I go to a second tier liberal arts college with Avg. ACT of 27.  I am an English and Sociology double major, I have played in an intercollegiate sport for 3 yrs, I have studied abroad for a semester in 3 countries, I do work-study, have volunteered off and on, and I recently joined the Asian Association.  I am Vietnamese-American and come from an economically disadvantaged background.  I am applying to Tier 3 schools like William Mitchell and one tier 4 school like Hamline.  I've been really anxious and I am not sure what to do. I hear applying early is better.  And I think I have a good PS and LORs.  Should I take my chances and apply or retake my test and take my chances there?

Thanks for all your help 

pchefdavid

• View Profile
Re: lsat 147/GPA 3.44
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 12:17:02 PM »
Hello. I'm in a similar situation. I scored a 141 on the LSAT my 1st try. My GPA is 3.76. Should I pay to retake the LSAT before applying to Chase (only school nearby for me) or wait and see if Chase accepts me, first?

BGOM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 12:26:53 PM »
I would recommend that both of you look at the ABA law school guide and see how many people got in with numbers similar to yours. If your chances seem very low, I would retake if you think you can raise your score by enough to help your candidacy. I would also email the schools to see what their policy is about multiple LSAT scores. HTH

http://officialguide.lsac.org/docs/cgi-bin/home.asp

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 01:16:41 PM »
Retake.  Good GPAs, decent ACT score, etc.  You should be able to score significantly higher than the 140s with some real preparation.

If you are willing to sacrifice nearly all of your free time for a month, I think you might be able to raise your score enough to drop the first one.  If not, I think you could raise it enough that even an average of the two scores would be significant enough to justify it.  Waiting to retake in February is not entirely out of the question if you are serious about tackling the LSAT and your app deadline allows for it.
You know yourself best however, and you are ultimately going to have to decide for yourself what your best shot is.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

thejizzus

• LSAT-156 GPA-3.4
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 03:24:43 PM »
"3.44 (3.38 if not converted by the lsac)"

i might b a dumb person askin a dumb uestion but what does it mean to convert the gpa n how does lsac do it?

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 03:34:04 PM »
Don't worry.  I suck at taking standardized tests.  I have a 4.0 GPA in my bachelor's degree in paralegal studies; however, I score in the 140's as well in the practice tests.  It is just one of those things.  If I could score in the 150's on the actual test, it would definitely be like scoring a 170!!! 

Hang in there guys!!!

esaundu1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 04:33:21 PM »
thanks for all the help and support so far.  In regards to thejizzus's question, they convert your GPA on the LSAC because some schools grade differently from others and the lsac tries to make it all standardized. For example, mine went from a 3.38 to 3.44 on the lsac because my school didn't count my study abroad grades.   

Winnie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 06:41:10 PM »
esaundu1 and planejane:

You are not alone...I'm right there with you.  I have a 3.99 UGPA in history but just scored a 152 on the Oct04 LSAT.  It was disappointing and frustrating at the same time, because I never scored that low on any of my practice tests.  I'll be taking it again in December to try to improve on it.  It just goes to show that the LSAT is no real indicator of how a student will perform in an academic setting.

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 10:40:34 AM »
"3.44 (3.38 if not converted by the lsac)"

i might b a dumb person askin a dumb uestion but what does it mean to convert the gpa n how does lsac do it?

There is not a universal standard by which universities assign grade points. At some schools there is nothing higher then a 4.o, despite receiving A+s. Others range 0-5. LSAC has a set grade point assigned to each letter grade. They use this to convert every applicant to a standardized GPA. For most people it does not change much. Some people, however, get royally screwed by LSAC. If your school uses a 4.0 scale, includes A+s as 4.3 and +/- as X.667/X.333 your UGPA should be the same as your LSAC GPA

lexylitstinks

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 05:54:47 PM »
A 147??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
You're fucken HOPELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

So I got a 147 on my lsat and GPA of 3.44 (3.38 if not converted by the lsac) do you know which one they take? I am debating whether to retake the test in Dec.  I'm not very good at the test, my previous practice tests flip flop from 156 to 146 and all that is in between.

(About me)I go to a second tier liberal arts college with Avg. ACT of 27.  I am an English and Sociology double major, I have played in an intercollegiate sport for 3 yrs, I have studied abroad for a semester in 3 countries, I do work-study, have volunteered off and on, and I recently joined the Asian Association.  I am Vietnamese-American and come from an economically disadvantaged background.  I am applying to Tier 3 schools like William Mitchell and one tier 4 school like Hamline.  I've been really anxious and I am not sure what to do. I hear applying early is better.  And I think I have a good PS and LORs.  Should I take my chances and apply or retake my test and take my chances there?

Thanks for all your help