Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lsat 147/GPA 3.44  (Read 19562 times)

estet_5

• Hoorah
    • View Profile
Re: lsat 147/GPA 3.44
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 04:50:23 PM »
How does one get a 3.9 average (or even a 3.44) and have a sub 150 score on the LSAT.  People can say they suck on standardized tests, but come on you would have to take hard tests and do well in college to get that kind of GPA unless there is some serious inflation....

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 05:40:13 PM »
I don't think it's grade inflation. Some people just don't legitimately take standardized test well. There would be other factors such as a language barrrier as well. I barely broke 1000 on my SAT's. I'm going to graduate Magna Cum Laude from the top private school in my state. I also did poorly on my LSAT. I, however, don't think that it's a reflection of what I'm capable of.

estet_5

• Hoorah
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 09:07:38 AM »
Did you not have big exams that were hard to finish in college? I remember some classes that if felt like a physical impossibility to get them done.  Anyway, Im not trying to be a jerk about it Im just having a hard time with the very high GPA and below average LSAT.  Maybe it's because I feel used to huge tests and don't have a problem with them.

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 11:36:18 AM »
I understand what you're trying to say, but it's different. At least in my situation it was and I know I'm not the only one. With exams in college, you're tested on the course material. No matter how big the exam, it comes down to whether you know the material or not. The LSAT and other standardized tests don't test knowledge. From my point of view (a non-native speaker with a different cultural background), standardized tests have an apparent bias. Aside from the bias, it also takes us longer to get through questions because we don't process the language as quickly as a native speaker. I'm not trying to make any excuses or anything of the sort, but I just wanted to share my experience to show that it is possible to not do well on exams such as the LSAT or the SAT and still be successful in school.

estet_5

• Hoorah
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 11:38:13 AM »
You never said that English was not your first language.......No further questions.